We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDG to Reims- train or rental car?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
CDG to Reims- train or rental car?

I'm wondering how much of a hassle it is to take the train from CDG to Reims and if it is pretty simple, whether it's necessary or wise to book tickets in advance. I worry about flight delays and missing the reserved train (not clear to me from SNCF site that tickets can be changed).

Renting a car would leave more flexibility but it's more expensive and we would not actually use the car while in Reims.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,646 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CDG to Reims- train or rental car?

From CDG, there are fast trains direct to Champagne-Ardenne TGV station. This is 8 km from Reims, and linked by local trains and a bus service.

If you buy soon after tickets go on sale, 3 months before travel, you can get tickets for under €20 but these tickets will be worthless if you miss the train. Allow at least 3 hours between scheduled landing and train departure. You will probably be able to buy tickets at CDG but the walk-up price is €37.30 and, as your US card will probably not work in the ticket machines, you might have a long queue to get tickets.

The conditions for change or refund are clearly shown on the voyages-sncf web site, right next to the price. Did you get diverted to RailEurope?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CDG to Reims- train or rental car?

Thank you for the information. Upon reviewing the English version on SNCF I was able to see the fare conditions (not very straightforward in French...or maybe my French is just that rusty).

We land at 7:45 am and my husband would like to book the 10:26 am train which I think is too risky but he doesn't want to hang out at the airport for the 12:52 train. Though if I can confirm that we would be able to get into the Air France arrivals lounge (we are both sky team elite plus), I may convince him to go the safe route.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CDG to Reims- train or rental car?

If you have trouble with the SNCF website use www.capitainetrain.com, which won't redirect you to RailEurope and is also less likely to cause problems with payment by U.S. credit cards.

4. Re: CDG to Reims- train or rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:17