We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

Germantown, TN
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

My wife and I have never been to Paris, but planning on it in 2014.

On one of our day in Paris we want to buy a loaf of bread, some cheese, some wine and have a picnic in a Park.

Any suggestions on how we can do this? What Park's or public places can we go to? Is this a "Thing To Do" in Paris?

Any suggestions would very helpful.

Mauser

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

You can buy all of these things in a supermarket, which are as common here as where you live. Or, you can buy a baguette at a boulangerie (baker), some cheese at a fromagerie (cheese store) and some wine at a caviste (wine seller). You can take these to any park or garden and enjoy your picnic. Don't buy a loaf of bread but try a baguette instead. The parks and gardens where you could enjoy these things are too numerous to mention so I would suggest you buy them and sit down and enjoy them wherever the mood strikes you. As long as you aren't getting drunk and causing a problem you can drink your wine anywhere, unlike in the U.S. I'm sure others will be happy to provide specific locations of parks and gardens if you are interested.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 01:49
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,817 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

Don't forget to get some fruit too. I've sometimes had this kind of picnic in my hotel room too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

There are a few parks where people are not allowed onto the grass. I think the Luxembourg Gardens may be one of them. You can recognise them at lunch time: there is nobody on the grass.

Two places that I think are particularly nice for a picnic lunch are on the grass in Place des Voges or sitting on a bench in the Tuileries.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

There are lots of small parks dotted throughout the city; you'll just be walking along, and voila...there's one on the corner in front of you....all over the city, really. It's one of the simplest pleasures of a visit to Paris. Enjoy!

Edited: 01 February 2014, 02:24
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

This is what we do but we usually include sausage ---> tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d2…

Pjk

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

Don't forget a cork screw. I always bring one.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

I would also add some pastry- yummy !

If you prefer to sit on grass Champs Mars by Eiffel Tower is lovely, quais along Seine river too.

Parks like Luxembourg Garden and Tuileries Garden have single chairs that you can place whichever way you like. It is a beautiful custom to have a picnic when the weather is nice.

When are you travelling to Paris? Is summer time there is also very popular evening dance by Seine on Quai Saint- Bernard.

Don't forget wine bottle opener.

Germantown, TN
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

Thanks everyone for the GREAT information.

Tese227, we hope to go in September.

Mauser

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

This might help you:

parisbymouth.com/our-guide-to-paris/…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Picnic that is" A Loaf of Bread, Cheese and Wine"

Yes, as said, there are many parks to do this and you'll enjoy doing it.

My last trip I met some people sitting in a restaurant (Father a pastor with his granddaughter and a friend) and we ended up doing a couple of sites and meals together. One day we picked up some food and went to the Seine and sat on a bench and enjoyed a meal watching the boating activity and people watching.