We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seine cruise

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Seine cruise

When is the best time to do the river cruise? Afternoon or night time? We'll be in Paris March 25-31 so I'm not sure what the weather will be like. I've read here to do it at sunset and some say afternoon so the lighting is better or night time so you can see all the lights around Paris. For those who have done it, what would you recommend.

We're staying at Latin quarter, which best cruise company should we take?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
490 reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seine cruise

Lots of people (like me) like to do it in the evening so they can see the Tour Eiffel and other attractions lit up, but it's up to you. It's a pleasant pastime no matter when you do it. I prefer the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. Others like the Bâteaux Mouches or Bâteaux Parisiens.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
656 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seine cruise

I like the cruise at night. March will be chilly so dress appropriately.

If you're staying near the Latin Quarter, Vedettes du Pont Neuf is closest.

You can download a coupon from their website and save a few euros.

Martinez,CA
Level Contributor
399 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seine cruise

March in the evening will probably be cold. We took an 8pm or so cruise in 2010. Many people wore puffy jackets which we, of course, did not have. Be sure to take beanie, scarf, gloves and layers. It's possible this is a warmer winter but it's best to be prepared. It was well worth the chill to see Paris at night!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,438 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seine cruise

I much prefer the daytime but it depends what you're looking for.

Day and night tours are two different things.

Night is pretty and romantic with pretty lights. More of an event, something to do at night

Daytime is an overview / tour intro to Paris. You can see much more, get your bearings and overview of Paris, see where the important sites are.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seine cruise

I second Doby47's analysis! Do a day cruise at the start of your stay to discover the 'attractions' and locate them, and do a night cruise just before your departure for having romantic memories and much regret to leave Paris :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seine cruise

Not to be contrary, but I recommend the night cruise - nothing beats seeing the bridges and monuments illuminated after dark. Check the websites to see the cruise schedule, and make sure to go after sunset.

In March, it will probably be chilly, day or night, so that doesn't really enter into the equation. One thing about ordering tickets in advance, though - if it's raining, you won't see as much through the glass-covered roof, so I don't recommend buying them ahead of time. The lines are usually not very long, and things move quickly.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seine cruise

Since there are so many companies and departure points, it's probably best to wait until you are in Paris, and check the forecast to decide.

You may want to check sunset time, so as to depart while the sun is shining (if there will be such a day) and return as it gets dark and the lights are turned on all over.

Though it would be warmer, especially if you want to enjoy views (and photo ops) when the sun is shining, it it's too bright, the sun will be in your eyes and it will be difficult to take photos.

As mentioned, it's chillier and breezier on the water, so you definitely want to dress very warmly.

On the smaller vessels, views and photo ops are obstructed by parts of the boat and other people, and you're often confined to your seats as there are no aisles for moving around. If the boat is full, you cannot move from one side to the other for better views as you pass various places.

I prefer the large Bateaux Mouches. There are plenty of aisles for wandering about for views and photo ops and you can easily move between outdoors and indoors to warm up or get out of the wind.

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seine cruise

I agree with Paul_Hamelin above: day cruise early on, night cruise to finish. And DO dress warm! I prefer Vadettes du Pont Neuf, but if it primarily for photo ops, Bateaux Mouches has an advantage. One other thing I might add is the commentary provided. The Bateaux Mouches has what I find an annoying recording playing the whole time in multiple languages (unless that has changed in the 7 years since I took this tour). Vedettes du Pont Neuf, the twice I have ridden them, had a charming young person giving an intermittent commentary in English and French which was more enjoyable. You can look up the time of sunset online, and time your trip for about sunset to get a little light and a little dark. You might get lucky and pass the Eiffel Tower as it sparkles for five minutes at the top of the hour, if you take an evening Vedettes cruise which starts at 30 minutes past the hour, but even if not, just seeing the lit tower at night from the river is memorable.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seine cruise

<<The Bateaux Mouches has what I find an annoying recording playing the whole time in multiple languages (unless that has changed in the 7 years since I took this tour).>>

Yes, it's changed. But, you can get completely away from the speakers so as not to hear it at all.

The Bateaux Parisiens have the advantage of individual hand held speakers, so you can listen to the commentary, or not. If you don't, there's wonderful traditional French music playing all along the way.

The cruises are so inexpensive and offered so often that you can go on more than one.

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seine cruise

Glad to hear about the audio change on the Bateaux Mouches! I agree they do have the advantage of size on the upper deck and ability to walk around.