We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine and Your Top Three

Arkansas
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Wine and Your Top Three

Bonjour Fellow Travelers,

My husband and I will be spending three days in Paris between Feb 13-16th. We will be staying in the Bastille area. I have devoured so much information from the forums and am so grateful to all of you for taking the time to share your experiences and advice. My first question is whether there is any place for wine tastings within the city. We'd love to sample French wines as we typically drink North and South American reds. We will not have time to venture out of the city during this trip, but fully expect we will return for a combined Paris/wine country visit during warmer weather.

My second question is this: if you had to choose your top three MUST SEE places in the city, what would it be and why? (I'm asking "why" to determine if it lines up with "why" we would enjoy it!)

Again, mercí.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

Wine Tasting in Paris is run by Thierry, a real afficianado who holds tastings on a boat on the Seine, so the view is charming, too. His tastings are all about French wines.

Le Foodist does great tasting with a fun sommelier, but he'll take one grape and have you taste its different incarnations across the globe, so you wouldn't get the overview you're looking for.

Finally everyone raves about O Chateau. Haven't personally taken a class there, so I wouldn't know.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 06:20
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,376 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

La Derniere Goutte does small, informal wine tastings, but you'd have to double check the days ---> www.ladernieregoutte.net/vins/index-swf.php

And you might be interested in this wine bar ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d7…

Pjk

Edited: 04 February 2014, 16:00
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
656 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

Im probably the only one on this forum who took a class at O Chateau and won't rave about it. Was in 2010 so maybe it improved.

I love the already suggested Le Baron Rouge, one of my favorite wine bars..anywhere

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,376 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

The baron also serves oysters on Saturdays. They set up a small oyster bar outside where you go, put in your order and they make a plate for you which you take inside.

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

Top Must See Places in Paris, narrowed down to Three? Impossible.

So here are three random ones from my Must See List:

Notre Dame. The rose windows alone are famous. That it is still standing after 850 years and that people could hew stone and build that 850 years ago (when most people today have a hard time using any sort of tool at all) is amazing. Its design, spiritually conceived and executed with perfection in the material world, its history, its archaeology (it's worth it to pay the few Euros to see the Archaeological Crypt), the way it looks at night, the way it looks from behind, the way it is so HUGE (because one of my other favorite places are the other Gothic churches - especially the ones begun a little earlier than Notre Dame). And I love going to see what happened to the original statues in Musee Cluny.

The Louvre. This would be a very long post if I said why. It's a palace, it's an amazing building, and it's the world's key art trove. Now, many people walk right past the art, but I'm thinking that maybe just the sheer scale of it, and its ceilings and the Henry IV staircase (I think that's what it's called where the horses used to walk up the stairs) and the Medieval Louvre, still standing beneath the later huge palace that would come (such a romantic sense of architecture in that older Louvre..)...the Marly Court, the medieval sculpture collection, Cours Khoursabad...the Rubens Marie de Medici Room....those are some reasons.

As you can see I like history. But I also like music, and on my first full day in Paris, which by coincidence happened to be June 21, not only was Paris alive with music, but we happened by complete chance to wander into a place with a jazz trio. I know now that Paris may be the epicenter of jazz in this world, right now. In particular, jazz guitar is wonderful there and that's my favorite kind of jazz. So my third "Must see" is live music, at some small place, with a great dinner someplace truly amazing beforehand. Or, simply a great dinner in a lively place with charm (amazing food takes some research). We like Atelier de Charonne (and like the food there too, btw). It's in Bastille, and walking home past the July Column and the façade of Saint Paul and sometimes detouring to walk along deserted streets past turreted buildings in Le Marais or even along the Seine (to maybe catch a glimpse of Notre Dame again), with that huge beacon from the Tower sweeping the sky - that's a Must Do Evening in Paris for me.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

Well, I always get knocked for telling the truth, but here goes, anyway -

We took one tasting class in 2013, and later in the year had a wine-pairing lunch at O Chateau, and were not impressed. Other people love it, and do not mind the "hard sell" that we got from our sommelier. If you know a lot about wine, you should probably look elsewhere. If you are looking for entertainment and don't know much about wine, you would probably like it. It's not excessively expensive, and the business targets English-speakers, so language is not a problem. This isn't a criticism of people who go, just my opinion of our experiences.

Le Baron Rouge is *tiny*, period. Because it has been written up so much, it is *very crowded*, period. If you can get inside and if you enjoy crowds and noise, you can have a pretty good time here. Do not plan on being able to sit down - people go here in groups, and there are not very many seats, to begin with - and don't plan on trying to have an intimate conversation. If you don't mind standing up in a crowded little room inside, or, if you don't mind standing on the sidewalk watching the garbage trucks hose down the rotten vegetables left from the Marche Aligre a few feet away, then you would probably like it. By the way, oysters are not available here year-round, so plan for that. IMO, any cafe with a decent terrace is more appealing than Le Baron, these days. Again, not a criticism of anyone else who loves this place, just my opinion of several very disappointing visits here in the last two years. Probably "sour grapes", too - since before anybody knew about this place, it used to be terrific... : )

Currently, wine bars are emphasizing food - not usually a bad thing. L'Ecluse has several outlets throughout Paris, and has always been a good bet for tasting different wines.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

You might try Le Tablier Rouge in the 20th. I haven't been, but know another TA member who has, and in fact it's owned by friends of his children. It's on my list for my next trip.

http://letablierrouge.com/

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

Au verre de contact, off B. Saint Germain is a great place for wine. Took us to a new level of understanding medium priced wines...food is pretty good too, but it is a wine bar not a restaurant with a well known chef or anything.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,376 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

That piqued my interest ---> http://www.auxverresdecontact.com/ It almost looks looks like a wine / tapas bar, very close to where ee stay.

Thanks

Pjk

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine and Your Top Three

There are some great wine bars in the area you're staying. A couple of my favorites are Septime Cave (around the corner from the restaurant) & Au Passage.

I also like le Barav in the Marais & L'Avant Comptoir in the 6th. Caveat, l'avant gets as or more packed than Le Baron Rouge so be prepared for that if you go!