We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
42 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

Hi

We are spending 6 nights in Paris in July and are looking for interconnecting rooms that will house 5 people - 3 in one room and 2 in other.

We are finding it very expensive and confusing. We would like a nice hotel close to tourist attractions and not below 4 star - hope to limit it to $400aud a night per room. Actually looking for same in Rome also if you can help with that too - but if not, don't worry. We are tackling one place at a time. We intend to spend 5 nights London, 6 nights Paris, 5 nights Rome and 4 nights Venice. We only have 20 nights so we are trying to take the advice of trip advisors and not move around too much or spend too little time in one place but hard with only 3 weeks.

Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

First off.. a four star room is very expensive,, three star hotels are very nice unless you really want luxury..

Second off.. its very hard if not almost impossible to find connecting rooms.. Over the years I have heard of family suites in a few hotels..try entering "family suite" in search box.

If you were staying 7 nights I would say take an apartment.. cheaper and good for families.. but most want 7 day rentals in high season, and in summer most do not have a/c.

Lastly.. look at Citidines Aparthotels.. they are a chain hotel but have some in decent locations and have mini kitchenettes etc.. haven;t stayed in them myself but they seem family friendly.

BTW ,, not sure how old kids are.. but if teens you could consider getting two rooms in a smaller boutique hotel.. they would be perfectly safe.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

You won't get a 4 star hotel suite for a budget level budget. Your budget would get you a very nice double room not a triple and a double at an expensive hotel. I would take a look at Vacation in Paris and see if they have a two bedroom apartment for your dates within your budget. They do book for fewer than 7 days, although you probably have to pay a cleaning fee when you book for less than a full week. Triples are available but a little tricky to find and you might be able to get two rooms next to each other. I have never seen connecting rooms although I am sure they probably exist.

Another advantage of an apartment for a family this size, is the ability to have food and drink easily available as well as some social space.

Brooklyn, NY
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

I was looking for connecting rooms for a trip to Paris in August and found the hotels that I asked about on this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k71373… I'm not sure what AU$400 works out to in euros or US$ so I don't know if the hotels that I found are in your budget.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

If I am reading it correctly, the OP seems to have a nice budget of $400 a room. She wants two connected rooms so that's an $800 budget. I just don't know how Aus$ translate to the Euro but if similar to the US it's around U$300 or so per room, 600 a night. Or I am not reading her post correctly?

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

I read it the same as WEQueen that the total nightly budget for 2 rooms is $800 Au which is currently €526 - OP can you confirm this is correct. The Relais Christine is a lovely hotel, however the price for one standard (quite small) room is over €300, so I don't know whether you would have to stretch your budget a little, or whether they could offer you a deal for two rooms, also I'm not sure if they have triples.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 06:54
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

$400 AUD is currently about 260Euro. I read the OP as spending $400 per room per night or $800 AUD or 520 Euro per night which is quite a generous budget.

I would also suggest looking at apartments or the apart-hotels like Citadines etc. The apart-hotels have the advantage of a reception desk with someone to assist you if this is your first visit to Paris. There are many apartments that don't have 7 day minimums but even if they do check to see if you can pay for 7 nights but leave at 6. Don't worry about AC - if you come from Brisbane you are more likely to need a coat to stay warm in the cool evening.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

Sorry should have mentioned in my post above that the Relais Christine is one of the hotels mentioned in the post linked by Anne Marie.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 07:18
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

I'm another who would suggest looking at apartments, though, a/c is/could be an issued.

Many have minimum stay requirements, but, it could be well worth your while to book a week even if you'll stay only 6 nights, particularly considering the extra night you may not use, per se, would work well day of arrival or departure considering check in/out times.

Hotel rooms, even "interconnecting", in Paris, are likely to be extremely "cosy" compared to an apartment.

I would disagree regarding the need for a/c, unless you have an exceptional tolerance for a spell of very hot weather. There's a HUGE difference between sitting out a heat wave at home versus while on vacation, when you're out and about from early to late, and wish for a good night's sleep every night.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

As explained on your other thread about hotel stars a 4* hotel is not necessarily any better than a 3* hotel. I'd suggest searching by budget and reviews with less emphasis on stars.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interconnecting Rooms for a Family

There are more connecting rooms that some may realise. we're travelling with three children and my mother in law this summer. We've decided to stay at Hotel Villa D'Estrees

Hotel Left Bank has a room for 5. It looks over Notre Dame.

Hotel Palais Bourbon has connecting rooms that would have held our 6.

Excelsior Latin Quarter have several rooms that will hold 5.

We also stayed at the Westin Vendome last summer in two connecting rooms which held 5.

The only way I found rooms was to email the hotels directly looking for connecting rooms. Many were wonderful and offered to put us all on the same floor or next to each other but we wanted to be together (I know, crazy, but my kids are young)