We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location - best location in paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
location - best location in paris

Hello ,

i might come to paris for a visit this year on april 11th - and i have a few question :

1. how is the weather in april 11th? is it warm , rainy or windy? what type of clothes should i bring ?

2. i did not book a HOSTEL yet, so i need to know where is the center of paris ? where the nightlife and night clubs, musuems , all the fun stuff are around

so i dont have to take a BUS or taxi to get from a to b .

3. the easiest way to get from the airport to this place you recommended ?

4. is there any PUB CRAWLS in paris ? like people gathering and making new friends ?

thanks alot

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location - best location in paris

Hi,

Weather is not always the same. It may still be cool so take a jacket, sweater/s and dress in layers so something can be removed or added when it gets colder or warmer during day.

Here is a link to weather averages for Paris:

www.holiday-weather.com/paris/averages/

The sites are spread out, Notre Dame is the epicentre of Paris, but there are many places of interest. I suggest you read a guidebook to familiarize yourself a bit with the city. Here is a link to free info:

www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/658407

and some info on nightlife:

www.timeout.com/paris/en/music-nightlife

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location - best location in paris

There is no "center" to Paris (although distances are measured from Notre Dame). Clubs and nightlife are spread through many areas (Republique, Oberkamp, Bastille, Montmartre, Latin Quarter, Saint Germain, Le Marais come to mind).

Take RER from the airport to a station near where ever you decide to stay - will not have to make transfers if it's Latin Quarter, might have to transfer at Gare du Nord for some locations.

I don't know about pub crawls. THere are pubs (several of them, the one I see most frequently is near Bastille). Paris does have bars, and some of them are lively and people do start conversations. But in general, Parisians are reserved about making new friends, and do not behave as Brits or Americans do in bars (there's often no large area for standing and drinking; cocktails are often very expensive; people tend to come to cafés with their friends, and to sit and talk to their friends all evening at a table, rather than drink and socialize while wandering around the place - but such places do exist and someone will list some more of them for you).

You can search for "pub" on Google maps and find several pubs (there's another near the Pantheon).

Recently watched a documentary on French youth and the lack of "pub culture" as compared to Britain. We were rather astonished at the amount of drinking people do in Britain, and how much mingling/drinking went on in pubs (and just outside of them). The Queen's walk reminded me of the kind of lively, alcohol-fueled environment one sees in Las Vegas, although certainly lots of people were with friends, seated at tables, there were lots of people going from place to place in increasing states of inebriation - and yes, they were very approachable/friendly. I haven't seen that kind of scene in Paris, but I have heard some areas do get lively in this way (for example, on weekends, the area near the Sculpture Garden gets lively).

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location - best location in paris

You might enjoy Bastille area, close to the metro, walking distance to sights (although metro is the easiest way to get around), and great nightlife. French people do get inebriated too, they just don't have the same exuberance as English-speaking cutlures, in my opinion. Regardless, lots of bars around Bastille.

Other nightlife hotspots are the Latin Quarter (where the British/Aussie expats show how it gets done), Montmartre, and the Les Halles area. Or Champs Elysees if you're more into nightclubs. Or Republique/Oberkampf...

For pub crawls, a google search ;-) would tell you there are many options.

Generally, not as great of a bar scene in Paris as London, or Barcelona, etc.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 23:36
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location - best location in paris

And by "exuberance" let's include "approaching strangers while drinking." That happens all the time here, in Australia and in Great Britain - not so much in France. I'm sure it happens *somewhere* in France (and I can think of some "party places" in Paris, but I'll let the locals say whether they want to encourage those places to continue to be used in such a manner.

The term "pub crawl" means different things to different people, that's for sure.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: location - best location in paris

If you are looking to stay at a hostel, then you will actually just need to choose what is available. Often, since hostels are meant to be fairly inexpensive, they are not in the very "best location" of the city. There is a newer one (St Christopher's) near gare du Nord, which is convenient in terms of being near public transportation, but it's not in the most "charming" area. There are the MIJE hostels in the Marais, which provide a central location, but I've read mixed reviews of them.

Anyway, my point is that you will not be able to decide on a best area and then find a hostel there. You need to begin with finding the hostel first.

Here is a list of specialty lodging in Paris--you will see many hostels listed and rated.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187147-c3-Paris_Ile_…

There are also 2 hostel booking sites that I remember my son using. One, I think, is called Hostel World, but do a google search and you will find these sites.

The advantage of staying in a hostel is that, even though they are not generally in the best prime locations, you will meet many other young travelers and you can find people to socialize and tour with (and drink with).

Edited: 07 February 2014, 00:06
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location - best location in paris

The term "pub crawl" is defined as "a tour taking in several pubs or bars, with one or more drinks at each."

Now, what does "approaching strangers while drinking" mean? LOL Are we talking about picking up girls? Oh yes it does happen in Paris.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: location - best location in paris

this may be of interest:

www.parisbarcrawl.com/…

ps Biscuit, 'pub crawl' has a concrete meaning. Notre Dame is indeed in the epicentre of Paris and surrounding areas are the centre ..albeit there are many lively spots with bars and nightlife, in fact there are some all over the city.

8. Re: location - best location in paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:30