We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with a translation please?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Help with a translation please?

Hi every one,

I am going to be in Paris in 4 weeks. I mostly intend to eat in mid range restaurants and while I can speak a little French, I am not fluent enough to explain my allergy to shellfish.

I am worried that if I try to explain in English that something will be lost in translation and I might get sick. I have used google translate to say that I am allergic to prawns, scallops, mussels, crabs, lobster and oysters, but I am not sure if this will be the right translation.

I don't intend to learn to say it- an old French boyfriend told me my accent is awful- but have it written on a small piece of laminated paper. I feel this would make the waiter/ waitresses more comfortable to see it written in their native tongue than me garbling a translation.

If someone who speaks French could help me figure out what the translation should say that would be very nice.

Thanks in advance :)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with a translation please?

Je suis très allergique aux crustaces et fruits de mer.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with a translation please?

Make a list and print it. Google translate will do for single words.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with a translation please?

Thanks StCirq, would you suggest I have that and then the list of individual words like klimaflyktning suggested below?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with a translation please?

<Google translate will do for single words>

Not for something like this where a mistake could have serious consequences.

I agree with StCirq's suggestion (Je suis très allergique aux crustacés et aux fruits de mer). It means "I am very allergic to shellfish and seafood".

prawns = crevettes

scallops = coquilles Saint-Jacques

mussels = moules

crabs = crabes

lobster = homard

oysters = huîtres

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with a translation please?

Thank you so much, I will print up the translation and then have the actual words written underneath for more clarification.

Now everything should go off without a hitch! :)

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with a translation please?

I would print it on cardstock and cut it the size of business cards. We did the same for my daughter's nut allergies last summer. I had many cards printed in French and others in German. The server often took the cards back to the kitchen. Sometimes I got them back, sometimes I didn't. I speak French well and the server always understood but when I had a card in my hand, they took that back to the kitchen. I think it makes it easier for them and ensures there are no mistakes.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with a translation please?

I, too, have similar allergeries. I don't know where it is at the moment but have it printed out on a piece of paper. And it what I showed to the waiters on the occasions that I thought it was necessary.

On the paper I had the sentence translated into French stating what Seafood items I'm allergeric to. And then below that I printed a picture of those items. Clams, clam juice, scallops, etc. with the French word next to each item.

But in my case I am NOT allergic to Crab, Shrimp, Lobster or Fish. And I love eating those. So on another piece of paper (or maybe it's on the same just on the back) a sentence in French stating it's OK for me to eat those items. And then, again, pictures of those items with the French word for them written next to each one.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 00:22
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with a translation please?

There are places where you can buy cards if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. I do not speak French and have been to France and Paris a dozen or so times.

This is just one example

https:/…home.php

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with a translation please?

Unless the English spelling is incorrect, it comes out exactly like that using google translate. With full sentences it is a completely different story.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with a translation please?

I don't see any reason to get specific about particular items. For example, the OP didn't mention langoustines, but crustaces and fruits de mer covers them ALL, so I'd just use those terms, which makes it clear to anyone that you cannot tolerate them. If you start listing, you might leave some out (and particularly since the OP is going to France, where there may be things we don't have or eat here - like bulots, just for example). Better to cover the entire spectrum, IMO.

If you want to get even more specific, which I don't think you have to, you could specify that you can't eat anything that has been prepared with broth or any other parts from any of these. I think they'll get the point, though - they don't want to be calling the medics to haul you out of their restaurant.

If you want to get really dramatic, which again I don't think you need to, you could add a phrase such as "Je deviendrai très mal très vite si je mangerai telles choses."