We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

What are some great value or unique casual dinner spots for French food in these areas? I've looked at Tripadvisor and Yelp listings, but would love to hear your favorites from folks that know these neighborhoods. Thanks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
488 reviews
from US$73.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$110.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$52.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

Got loads, but I don't know how unique they are. I just know I like 'em.

There's the Creperie Bretonne on the rue de Charonne, and directly across the street is Paris Hanoi. Both are inexpensive and excellent. If you do opt for crepes, be sure to enjoy a glass of cidre with them.

Just down from there, on the corner of Ledru Rollin and Charonne, is Bistro le Pientre. I like lunch here. The staff is very friendly, and is happy to try their English on you.

There's Chez Paul on the rue de Charonne, and Square Trousseau on the rue Antoine Vollon, not far from the Marche d'Aligre. I understand another fave, Les Banquettes, on the rue de Prague has closed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

I forgot the tiny ChezAline on the rue de Roquette, up near the Voltaire metro. Good for sandwiches and salads.

There's also an excellent Lebanese restaurant toward the other end of the r. De Charonne, but I'd have to go look to see which road it's on. It was excellent tho.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 00:57
Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

A bit further North than the ones Happy has recommended is Le Centenaire, at 104 Rue Amelot, on the corner of Rue Oberkamph. We stayed at an apartment nearby on our last visit to Paris. It is nothing special, though it has surprisingly good food. It is modestly priced and friendly. We adopted it as our go to place in the evening, as the lady bartender made a killer B-52 for my wife's nightcap.

This May we will be staying a bit further up the canal on Rue Alibert, but we will certainly pop down to Le Centenaire for a meal or two when we are too tired to travel far.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

On the hard-core foodie forums, visitors often ask for the quintessential bistro where they can dine among locals. HappyGoin just gave you a gen: La Pientre. Fabulous art nouveau windows a plus.

http://www.bistrotdupeintre.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,531 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

I like Astier near Rue Oberkampf. Not least because it still has a decent cheese board which they leave on the table for your selection. Usually a small but good "menu" @ about €35

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

Oh fun...now I have a couple of new ones to try. Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
656 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

Two great area's..

A la Biche au Bois, near the Bastille. My omnivore friends love the food and value, I like the vibe. Tables very close together, very French.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

We used to really like Le Centenaire having eaten well there in the past. Last year however we ate two meals and while the first one was ok the second was very poor, as if they just weren't trying, so I doubt we'll return this year.

However I can thoroughly recommend Astier, a small menu but very good value for 3 or 4 courses and friendly staff.

Been meaning to try bistro le Peintre the last few times in Paris so will add this to the list again!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,593 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

I've never eaten at them but here are a few restaurants i always pass by that look nice on rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud (runs parallel to rue Oberkampf).

Astier: http://www.restaurant-astier.com/

La Pharmacie: http://www.lapharmacie.net/

There are a bunch of other nice looking restaurants on that street and nearby that you'll notice.

10. Re: Good value or unique restaurants in Bastille/Oberkampf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 06:17