We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much $$ per day? Please help!!

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How much $$ per day? Please help!!

Hello everyone. I have a question for all you fellow travelers.

My cousin and I plan on backpacking throughout Europe this upcoming June.

We will spend about 4 days in each city: Paris, Amsterdam, London, Berlin and Rome.

Our hostels are covered and payed for along with commute between each country. and I plan on buying unlimited public transportation passes (oyster for London, etc.) for the days that I'm in each city.

But I'd really like to know how much I have to budget for food and sightseeing. I'm on a tight budget so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

Read the sticky thread on budget travel at the top of this forum. You can eat for 10€ a day per person if you want to. Baguette and coffee for breakfast, the rest of the baguette with a bit of cheese for lunch. Water from the tap. Grocery store items for dinner. Not easy, but if you can live on baguette, cheese, boiled eggs and tuna rilette and tap water, you can do it cheaply.

Tickets to most museums are between 8 and 12€ and worth every penny.

You don't say where you are from, so can't say more about museum discounts.

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

Thank you for your reply!

Definitely open to grocery shopping, sandwich packing and the works. I'm from NYC so I know to avoid tourist traps when it comes to restaurants.

I was hoping I could survive on less than 50£ a day? I'd like to have atleast one restaurant meal per day (a cheap one, hopefully.) and the occasional bar hopping.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 06:47
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

I could live on salads, crepes, tartines, etc., quite well, if I had to.

I don't have a sweet tooth, but you could add, ice cream, pastries.

If you'd enjoy one restaurant meal per day, just check the blackboards all over for "plat du jour", reliably delicious and filling.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,175 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

When bar hopping watch drink prices.. drinks like hard liquor can be stunningly expensive.. stick to house wine if you like wine if really watching cash.

If you are under 26 and in Paris on Friday nights I think the Louvre offers you a free visit or discount in the evening..

Which hostel are you staying at in Paris.. you may not need a transport pass ( or it may not work for you depending on your dates.. ) ... you may wish to walk and just use a few tickets for farther flung places.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

Okay, so yes, UK residents get some discounts - like the one at the Louvre.

For one "good" meal in a restaurant, budget at least 12€ if you do your research and if you really want a nice meal with a glass of wine, budget at least 18€. But realistically, we find that 20€ per person (with a glass of wine or beer) is much more possible and you can find some nice meals in that price range. Remember that most restaurants (those places that close during the afternoon) frown upon you ordering just a main course and tap water - you can do it, but it isn't usually done (but you're young, they'll forgive you). I can think of a bunch of places where you could dine for 20€ if you didn't order wine and have a very decent main dish.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

Pop into a Daily Monop' or Carrefour mini-market and pick up one of the various microwave pasta box meals from around €3 to €4, get a drink then whack the box into the in-store microwave and find a seat and table (usually near the check out) and you have an inexpensive lunch.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

I cannot beat brilliant Henneth with his practical and frugal suggestion. But the 14.50€ lunch special at Le Pré Verre is good value and their food's well prepared -- you get a starter, main, glass of wine and a coffee ..popular spot so reserve in advance.

lepreverre.com/en/…menus-cartes-paris.html

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,175 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

inna thanks for bringing up Le Pre Verre its always well recommended here but I keep forgetting to visit it.. am really going to try this time to make it there.. that is a great deal for a meal and glass of wine!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

When i backpack, most of my meals come from grocery stores. I'm sure your hostel has a fridge? Alot of them have kitchens, so you don't even need to do microwave lunches. You can have nice dinners, with wine (which is cheap in Paris!) right at your hostels! (I backpacked for a couple months last summer, my favorite meals were like that. Peanut butter and apples is now a comfort food :-))) For less than 20 euros.

For cheap drinks/dinner, I cannot recommend enough Le Tribal Cafe - FREE (and delicious) moules frites or couscous with a purchase of beer, and really cool atmosphere. There are several places like that in Paris.

writingtravel.com/2009/02/eight-places-where…

I would consider Pre Verre above my backpacking budget...but that does sound like a good lunch deal.

Gyros in Paris are pretty cheap, if you eat meat. And crepes from a street vendor make a delicious cheap lunch.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much $$ per day? Please help!!

Joan, it is a good deal considering the quality ..DD and I liked it.

and Crêperie de Josselin is another good lunch spot -- for about 10€ you get 2 delicious fresh crêpes (actually, a galette with savoury filling and a dessert crêpe) and a drink. The quality is not comparable to street food.

…lefigaro.fr/restaurants/…