We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

s k
Boston...
8 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

Hello,

I am a 70 year old, very active woman, who will be traveling alone to Paris in Aug. 10th-14th 2014. I don't mind being alone during the day (there are many tours) but would really like to find people who would like to join me for supper. I have no ideas about where? For starters, I would just like to know if there are other people looking for the same thing. If we had a group we could decide on prices, places, etc. and have a grand old time:)) It would be fun!!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Sandy from Boston

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
1. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 09:35
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

Sorry will be there in July.. but I certainly would have met up with you.. I have met a few posters on this site and on another site and its always been a good experience..

Keep reading and posting on forums ,, it helps if people get to know you a bit too..

Good luck!

s k
Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for responding to my post (which was removed). I am really a 70 year old woman looking for someone to have supper with while I'm in Paris. And NO MORE!!

I will try again. Maybe asking for a supper companion is code for something else??

Sandy from Boston

Essex
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

Look, what you are doing here, IMO is very naieve....

Whatever age you are/whoever you say you are, how is anyone to know?

How will you know that anyone who contacts you is who/what they say they are?

Seeking travel companions on the internet, particularly on an unregulated site like TA is really unwise.

You could end up at best with someone you just don't gel with.

You could end up at worst with..... Well, I dread to think...

Not to mention that "soliciting" which this is in fact a form of, is not allowed on TA forums, have you read the posting guidelines??

I do wish you well but also SAFE in your travels.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
1,950 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

EssexWanderer has made some good points. You may want to consider looking for possible supper companions while you are taking day tours. Some of the other tour participants may be interested in joining you. When traveling solo, I have sometimes met others to do things with in this way. And when traveling with my husband, we've had solo travelers join us.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

joan's suggestion to spend time on the forum and get to know people is good advice.TA can be a great place to make friends - but it takes time to develop those friendships.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

And, I'm pretty sure whoever reported your post was following TA guidelines. You can ask questions about travel (How would I meet people in Paris?) and get answers like "Go on tours" or whatever else people can think of, but TA frowns upon being used as a meet-up service, just so you know. And for the exact reasons Essex Wanderer put out. It's not set up as a meet and greet service.

There are other internet resources that *do* encourage meeting people online. On the Solo Travel forum here on TA, people say to use Travel Buddy. Others go to the Lonely Planet forum, where trying to find travel companions is permitted by the TOS.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

Good luck Sandy! I have been fortunate enough to have made a couple of friends through TA and our mutual interest of traveling. I hope you are as lucky!

Good luck and happy trip planning! (It's almost as much fun as the actual trip!) :D

Edited: 09 February 2014, 23:18
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

I agree to stick around TA and post and people will get to know you. I have met up with people from TA in different cities and different countries and it's always been good. We discuss getting together right on the TA Forum.

I've been to Paris solo many times. And every single time I have met people and we went on to have meals and tour around together. Frequently just sitting in cafes and striking up converstations with fellow travelers. I also think that since you are doing some tours that you'll meet fellow travelers and it could just feel right to go on to have drinks / dinner together.

I have no problem having dinner alone though. I always see it as time to write down what I did that day. Think about or look at Time Out Paris or guide book to see what I want to do the next day. Or to just sit and people watch - which I love to do.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
925 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Paris 8/10-8/14 looking for supper companions

I had a good experience meeting another woman in Paris that I connected with on this TA forum. We did email each other and talked on the phone before meeting in Paris. We also met in a public place and strolled around while deciding on a place to have lunch. I also had no difficulty eating alone in restaurants for either lunch or dinner. The restaurant staff always made me feel welcome and it wasn't unusual to strike up a conversation with other diners.