We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Honest about Paris

New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Be Honest about Paris

I am planning on traveling to Paris with my family (Mother and Brother) in October. This will be the first time for all of us. I have growing concerns about accomodations. I would like space for all of us to be together, therefore, I was thinking that renting an apartment would be best for us and for our budget. However, some of my inquires with VRBO, FLIPKEY and other sites have been intimidating (asking for cash which I WILL NOT do, asking for deposit into their bank accounts, asking for PAYPAL passwords). Our time is limited in Paris and I would like to stay in the 6th, 7th, 5th Arrondissements, or just across the Siene, the 4th or 9th Arrondissements. I am asking for help in finding a nice, CLEAN, decent size apartment for us in a SAFE area (as safety is also a concern). As I said before, something within budget, 250euros or under per night. I have rented homes/condos many times before using VRBO and FLIPKEY with pretty good luck but not for any trip to Europe. I am very nervous and do not want to be taken advantage of.

I would love for my TRIPADVISOR "family" to assist me in making the right decision for my family as this will likely be the one and only time the 3 of us will be able to travel to Paris together. Thank you in advance!

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be Honest about Paris

Take a look at Paris Best Lodge. 100% positive reviews on them. You can search for yourself here to see the comments.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be Honest about Paris

If you are not prepared to pay cash on arrival, you are closing off many of the possibilities.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be Honest about Paris

Your avatar says you live in New Jersey. For an easy first-time rental in Paris, have a look at Vacation In Paris, which is based in NJ. Their website is vacationinparis.com.

They're wholly reliable, very highly regarded here, and their rates are reasonable. You can do the entire transaction by credit card.

Paris Best Lodge is a terrific, highly regarded agency as well, but I don't think they have a rental large enough for your party to be comfortable...could be wrong, do have a look.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 01:21
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Be Honest about Paris

I 2nd what Happy just said. I have used vacationinparis many times and been very happy.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be Honest about Paris

Aside from your questions about renting an apartment, why in the world do you title your post with the admonition to "Be Honest About Paris"? Do you feel the people on Fodor's are not honest, or would try to mislead you? I find that a bit insulting.

You might consider looking at apartments using Airbnb. You can pay with a credit card or PayPal, and they hold the funds for 24 hours after you check into the apartment, just in case it was falsely advertised.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be Honest about Paris

Why not stay in a hotel and avoid the stress and drama? I'm always hearing horror stories about apartments.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be Honest about Paris

Why on earth would anyone who has invested considerable money and time in purchasing an apartment in Paris (no small deal) not be nervous about YOU? Of course they want money up front for a security deposit? How else will they schedule their rentals for the year? Do you just think you'll have an oral agreement that you'll show up, look around, and decide if this place is OK for you or not? Naturally they want cash or a bank deposit or a PayPal payment. It's a contract, with obligations and liability on both sides.

I've owned a home in France for 21 years. If you rent from me, you pay me a sizable lump sum 45 days before you plan to arrive at the property (plus you sign a bunch of documents telling me exact,y who's going to be there, their ages, any infirmities, etc.) and you agree to all kinds of conditions (using the fireplace, using the pool, locking the property when you'/re not there...all kinds of things). You can cancel with a partial refund up to 30 days in advance. I hold onto your security deposit until it's clear (and it can sometimes take a few weeks depending on the cycle of utility bills in France) that you didn't make $800 worth of phone calls to foreign countries on the landline, or broke furniture, or stole my antiques, or failed to take out the garbage. You're not my friend (well, you might be, but the conditions still apply), you're my client.

Who's got the most to lose in a contract (and YES, it is a contract) like this? You, or the property owner? Seems pretty straightforward to me. Not your money that got spent on that apartment or villa, is it? What on earth is your objection to paying, however, up front? If you don't like that idea, get a hotel. Or, as nukesafe says, use Airbnb.

I agree, your post title is insulting. Who here would be dishonest about such an issue? And why?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be Honest about Paris

For your first time in Paris, get a hotel. The Front desk will be there 24/7 to assist you - they can recommend restaurants, tell you how to get to museums etc, guide you on the metro and answer any other questions you have.

I think apartments are much better for people who know their way around Paris and don't need the assistance a front desk can provide. Also, do any of you speak/read French? If none of you do, then yes, you really need a hotel with a nice front desk staff.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,574 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be Honest about Paris

Your first trip, you are seemingly apprehensive and unsure of the ways of apartment rentals in Paris, you might be more comfortable in a hotel where there's someone to help you when you need it. More flexible cancellation policies etc. Apartment rentals are not the way for everyone.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be Honest about Paris

I agree with the comments that an apartment may not be right for you. As an alternative you might consider one of the apart - hotels, such as Citadines or Adagio.

And honestly, Paris is one city where I have very few safety concerns. I'm much more comfortable going out in Paris at night than I am here in St. Louis.