We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Well, life gave us a giant sized lemon three weeks befor our trip. DH injured his leg, and despite a cortisone shot, he traveled to Paris with the aid of a cane.

Saga started on February 6, departure day. We were flying Air France/Delta codeshare, and Delta customer service was kind enough to note wheelchair assistance on our itinerary for all the legs of our trip. Delta came through like a champ -- wheelchair waiting in Tampa and in Atlanta (stopover). However, when they turned us over to Air France, the "fun" began ... our boarding call came, and still no wheelchair. I asked very politely if the wheelchair was due to arrive before we boarded. I was screamed (yes, screamed) at by the counter rep that she didn't know anything and did we really NEED a wheelchair? At this point, DH manned up and walked with cane to board.

Air France premium economy left MUCH to be desired. Seats were hard as concrete (really). IFE was pretty much useless. Controls were in the armrest where the slightest movement would scramble IFE. Lights were on pod-like "feelers" and required a lot of adjustment. But hey, we were going to Paris, so the trip was to be endured.

Arriving at CDG, the wheelchair was waiting for DH (yay!!!). By the time we made our way through immigration and to baggage claim, we discovered our 2 checked bags had come out of the hold an hour apart. So I was delegated to find the missing bag, which I did -- just before it was being carted off to lost luggage. But we were in Paris and that was the goal. After a spirited discussion with the wheelchair lady, we were put into a Taxi Parisien as opposed to the "taxi" she had arranged inside the terminal while I was scurrying around getting the 2nd suitcase. 57 euros later (just what I had calculated) we arrived at our rental apartment. NOW, the vacation could really begin.

What little schedule we had was tossed completely. Friday we took care of the Museum Passes, stocked up on supplies and wandered around our neighborhood, which had changed quite a lot since we were last here in 2008. We made it until about 9:30 pm Paris time and crashed.

Saturday we woke up refreshed and ready to go. Lunch at the Musee du Vin (always our first lunch stop), then walked over to the Cite d'Architecture for the Art Deco exhibit. Great show, but people were packed in. Caught a taxi home, as DH was starting to struggle with walking. Got a yummy pizza at our neighborhood place which we like a lot.

Slept in a bit on Sunday. Breakfast was pain au chocolat (OMG, I'll be dreaming about that...) Made our way over to the American Church early evening for a free piano concert which was AWESOME!!! DH had chatted up the Music Director (a totally nice fellow originally from Seattle). He got a cab for us and off we went to Leon de Bruxelles, a treat for DH. We both enjoyed dinner (I had fish and of course DH had the mussels). A short cab ride brought us home.

Up today to a one-day taxi strike. DH's leg was feeling better to we figured out public trans to a la Petite Chaise, another one of our favorites. Yummy, yummy lunch (magret de canard for DH and salmon and scallops skewer for me). Turns out we were seated next to a couple from Los Angeles, so we had a pleasant time comparing trip notes and just talking.

DH was able to walk over to L'Orangerie and we sat and lovingly stared at the Monet Nymphaes for a long time, until it was time to go to the Cartier exhibit at the Grand Palais. Amazing, awesome, almost too much -- the jewels were indescribable and the other items interesting. Not quite as packed as the Art Deco exhibit because of timed entry tickets. Metro Line 1 brought us back to the neighborhood and we enjoyed pasta at our little place down the block.

We are now tired but happy. We are definitely not able to do as much as we planned, but we are really enjoying the things we are doing. We may actually take tomorrow off, just to rest, recuperate and get our "gas tanks" back to full.

We vowed that even though this trip was not going to be like our others that we would take pleasure in the things we are able to do. And we have done that. If we have to take taxis to get around, so be it ...

Taking the lemons, making lemonade and franchising lemonade stands worldwide ... LOL

I mean, we're in Paris, right?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Despite your early struggles you are definitely off to a great start. I love your upbeat attitude. How long are you in Paris?

Please continue your saga! :D Reading trip reports helps me pass the time until our (FIRST ever) June visit!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

I do wonder why any airline would choose to install seats like concrete in Premium Economy. Perhaps there is a bit of bias here?

California
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Bummer about your husband's leg! You've got a great attitude tho, and you two will have fun regardless. Thanks for posting. I'll have to look up your lunch spots and the art deco exhibit--maybe it will still be on when we're there next month. I'm guessing you will be in AF prem. economy on the return flight--just FYI, the remote controls clip out of the armrests so you don't need to struggle with them on the way home ;) It does sound like your seats had temperamental ones, tho!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

We are in Paris until Friday, so still lots of fun to be had ... We both chose to make the best of this trip. There's no crying in Paris, LOL

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Art deco exhibit is packed, hem.. Thanks for sharing the info as it's one i was planning to go to next week-end.

Glad you're still enjoying your stay in spite of the leg issue (don't forget the buses might be easier for your husband ;)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

musee du vin.. have to look that one up!!

You seem to have recovered from a rocky start .. can't wait to hear more!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Glad things started improving as soon as you got to your neighborhood. May I ask which neighborhood it is?

I hope your husband's leg promptly heals so you can both fully enjoy Paris but it seems you are both enjoying yourselves already :)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
1,701 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Are you liking the apartment as much as you did during your first stay there?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Good to hear the trip is going well despite the lemons thrown in your way. I absolutely concur about AF PE. Better than economy, but not really great. It's my understanding they're redesigning those pods...maybe they'll be installed in time for your next trip.

Continue the fun!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When Life Gives You Lemons ...Partial Trip Report to Date

Glad you're having a good time! Keep the reports coming....

I'd like to know where you're staying as well.