We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orly to Caen, which roads please?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Orly to Caen, which roads please?

I posted a few days ago a question asking whether I should fly into Orly or CDG to collect a hire car to drive to the Caen area. Someone suggested Orly as I would find it easier to get on the A86 from there.

I have an old Michelin France guide, can someone please list the road numbers I would go on so I could check it out? I will try googlemaps but not very techno savvy.

Thanks.

Lozzie64

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orly to Caen, which roads please?

Google Maps is hopeless at estimating driving times in Europe. You can get driving directions, fairly realistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com

From Orly, get onto the A86 heading west towards Versailles. Just past Versailles, turn left onto A12, then right onto A13. Keep following A13 to Caen.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orly to Caen, which roads please?

"From Orly, get onto the A86 heading west towards Versailles. Just past Versailles, turn left onto A12, then right onto A13. Keep following A13 to Caen."

No, just past Versailles you turn RIGHT onto A12 then LEFT onto A13. On the A12 you will need to be in the left lane & follow the sign marked Poissy Rouen, otherwise you will find yourself back on the road to Paris.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 07:46
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orly to Caen, which roads please?

As you leave the airport briefly follow signs to "Paris". You will find yourself on a 2/3-lane highway. About half-a-mile from the airport follow signs to Versailles. This means keeping in the left-hand lane (i.e. the fast lane) which will split off left briefly before you merge with a second dual lane highway. Keep in the right-hand lane as after another half mile you'll be turning off right at the exit marked Versailles and joining the A86 heading west. Once you're on the A86, move out quite soon to the left-hand lane or you'll find yourself heading into Paris. Keep on the A86 heading towards Versailles and then follow tradeform's instructions. (When you get past Versailles, the signs will say "Rouen" - that's often the eaiser way to navigate to get to the A13).

It's not as bad as it sounds. You'll be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orly to Caen, which roads please?

>>No, just past Versailles you turn RIGHT onto A12 then LEFT onto A13<<

Oh dear. And I am supposed to be a geographer.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orly to Caen, which roads please?

Thanks everyone,

Just what I was looking for, will print it out and put in travel file that leaves Australia with me!

Cheers.

Lozzie64

6. Re: Orly to Caen, which roads please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:20