We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions to Art Lovers

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
253 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Questions to Art Lovers

Appreciate the insight

1) While reading more I found that Musée d'Orsay, Musée de l'Orangerie and Giverny is all about Monet and impression school, is that correct?

2) if Musée d'Orsay can take around 3 hours to get the feel of impression school, Musée de l'Orangerie is only about the eight Water Lilies of Monet, is estimating 1 hour fair for that Musée?

3) (Unrelated to Arts) is Musée d'Orsay restaurant good or just tourist trap? if so where to eat?

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

There is much, much more to the d'Orsay than just Impressionism, although if that's what you're looking for, they're terrific.

A lot of people sit in peaceful silence for several hours looking at the water lilies, but you can certainly have a very nice visit in about an hour.

I've never eaten at the d'Orsay, but if you choose to eat elsewhere, the restaurant Cinq Mars on the rue du Verneuil, just behind the d'Orsay is very good. There's a Vietnamese restaurant across the street from Cinq Mars that is excellent as well.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

We always eat at the D'Orsay if we can, and we do not feel the food is of bad quality, in fact, it's above average and quite nice. The room is beautiful. It is not too unreasonably priced, either. You will see many French people there on family special occasions and we once saw a party celebrating an engagement. We were glad we'd dressed properly to be in that setting.

The D'Orsay includes much art that is pre-Impressionist and strives to give the context (Aubusson school, plein air painting, Orientalism, Romanticism, even some Mannerism) that went into the rise of Impressionism (which is still a broadly defined group of people). Monet is well represented, yes, but you will come away with an entirely different view of the whole cast of characters that surrounded him, preceded him and came after him.

L'Orangerie's downstairs permanent exhibit is an *excellent* introduction to Impressionism and tries to do some of the same things (putting the different aspects of Impressionism and how it leads to modern art) in context. I was really glad I'd gone there before the D'Orsay, it helped me understand so much better.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

I, too, have eaten at the restaurant and found the food to be quite good. The setting, of course, is stunning. It is definitely not a tourist trap and attracts locals as well as visitors. You may want to read some of the restaurant reviews on-line to determine what others liked or disliked about their meals.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

The second floor of l'Orangerie is not just about Monet (Water Lillies are on the first floor), but it is a small museum, especially compared to d'Orsay. In any museum, you can see what you want to--no need to try to see everything if that is overwhelming for you. If you are trying to see as much as you can re Monet, then you should consider adding the Marmottan to your list:

http://www.marmottan.fr/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,295 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

Kind of NO - to all your questions.

# 1. It is not all about Monet, well except for Giverny.

If you can divide art chronologically - the oldest belong to Louvre; then to d'Orsay; than to Museum of Modern Art.

Museum d'Orsay has wonderful collection of art not just impressionism, but also pre- and post-; as well as great collection of sculptures. Although impressionists are good part of the museum.

Museum de l'Orangerie has mostly impressionists, some modernists- few Picassos and yes- wonderful huge murals of water lilies by Claude Monet. Museum also hosts some temporary exhibitions like for example lately Kahlo and Rivera.

#2. You could rush a little l'Orangerie in 1 hour, but it's doable.

#3. d'Orsay restaurant is highly reviewed. I've never eaten there.

There are also other museums containing impressionists works.

It is very rough description, but hope it helps.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

If you are an Art Nouveau enthusiast, as I am, do not miss the Museum d'Orsay's superb Art Nouveau collection, especially the furniture.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

Musee d'Orsay official website for dining options

musee-orsay.fr/en/…restaurants.html

Though a bit "touristy", we just love Le Fregate for the wonderful views of the Louvre across the river. It's a wonderful place to rest and relax, especially if the weather is nice. And, there are usually artists along the way with beautiful, reasonably, priced, paintings. One trip, I could not make up my mind between three magnificent watercolors and now am so glad to have purchased all three. They were inexpensive, cost much more to frame, but are they glorious on my wall!

I'm not a huge fan of bothering with Musee de l'Orangerie. Monet painted those panels specifically for that venue, and, though impressive, his other works at other venues are far more worthwhile.

If you enjoy Monet's paintings, consider Musee Marmottan, which includes a large collection of works gifted to him my his contemporaries.

If you go to Musee d'Orsay, be SURE to go all the way to the back for the escalators to the top, then work your way down. The restrooms back there are almost never busy (because no one goes there).

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,992 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

I am always impressed with the Orangerie, and my father - a Monet fan - was d@mn near reduced to tears. Horses for courses.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

Yes, it's a matter of taste. For me, it was L'Orangerie and knowing Monet was involved in the complete experience - which is rapturous. Marmottan came, for me, after several trips to the D'Orsay and to L'Orangerie (and to the Monets in London). I prefer the L'Orangerie, as I prefer Monet in his larger context, where I think he is at his most amazing.

And for a little detour into the Art Nouveau past of Paris, don't miss the Mucha store fittings inside Musée Carnavalet (and some more Impressionists, and pre- and post-Impressionists, a few anyway).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions to Art Lovers

I am not as thrilled with the Orangerie water lillies as many are -- the museum often has interesting exhibits downstairs. last time we were there, there was an exhibit of pointilists. there is also a fairly permanent collection of interesting pieces.

d'Orsay is filled with interesting art in addition to the impressionists. In fact when we visit we rarely go to the impressionists any longer but revisit the salon art, sculptures and the symbolists and pre-Raphaelites etc.