We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickup from Apartment to Orly

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Topic
Pickup from Apartment to Orly

I will be leaving Paris on the same day as the Paris Marathon.

My flight is at Orly at 9.00 using Easyjet

My apartment is 200 meters from Notre Dame.

I've checked with shutter-inter and they suggested we leave at 5:30 (if I could a gasp emojicon).

Is that too early?

What time would be be best for the pick up?

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,696 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

I'd probably schedule a pickup for 6:00 am.

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

I just checked googlemaps and it takes 20 mins to orly.

Ok just to be safe 6am.

Thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

Hmm. Are you familiar with Orly? Is the 20 minutes to the tram stop that then goes to the airport? Because, IIRC, we had a car and driver, but we had to go on a kind of train to get to the place where he could pick us up. Everyone did. The planes are connected to the main terminal by a sort of train.

Also, it took 50 minutes for us to arrive in Saint Germain from Orly, mid-morning (it will be lighter traffic at 6 a.m., I imagine - but don't trust Google times; they only calculate miles times speed limit on the road). And they do not account for you having to catch that tram. I think you'll be okay with 6 a.m. for EasyJet (although just as I typed that, I remember the racing pulse I had when we got to EasyJet - they don't accept carryon's as cabin luggage, you have to check them through) and the LINE was HUGE and the woman in front of us was near tears because she and her daughter and granddaughter were going to miss their plane (and there wouldn't be another for awhile and it would cost them), so the daughter was going down the line begging people to see if she could cut it, and the line *was not moving.*

But, there were others who were also needing to check luggage quickly (they shut off the luggage surface promptly at a certain number of minutes before boarding time). A bunch of people did let her go ahead (the little girl looked so upset), I have no idea if they and their luggage made it to the plane. This was at Orly.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has had such an experience. We were very early for our own flight, but even so it was a very long wait to check our luggage. Be sure and pay extra for all the things you want to check - each piece is extra and they are quite serious about charging a huge upcharge if you wait until you're actually at the airport.

I have also had much smoother experiences with EasyJet (at Pisa) but we actually did not have to check luggage that time (we crammed our personal item into our carryon and they let us through with the one piece). YOU will be checking things. So just be forewarned. The people at Shuttle-Inter may, in the end, know something that we don't. We had also purchased the "early boarding" thing so we knew there would be room in the luggage compartments for our stuff. If you can't fit your one thing into the luggage compartment (our carry-ons were too big to go under seat), they will gate check it - and charge you.

In other words, it's a bargain airline where you can choose which components of the experience are most important and convenient to you.

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

I have decided to check in 2 luggage and will have 2 strollers.

Maybe a backpack. That's it.

I have bought my luggage check in options.

So you think 5:30 would be safer?

I am thinking it may be too early.

Even if I take 1 and half hours to reach there, I will be there by 7am.

My flight is at 9. I would have 2 whole hours.

Sorry but with kids, even half an hour in the morning is a huge difference. yikes!

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
439 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

You also need to allow for all the road closures for the marathon, they may not be able to go down roads they would normally use. Hence the earlier start time they quoted you.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

Well, it's up to you of course. It is early, but you are traveling and you have to weigh the pro's and con's. Now, the good thing is (we hope) people won't be flocking to the counter at EasyJet (as people are in town for the Marathon and maybe not leaving yet?)

As I said, it took us more than an hour to check our luggage. Then we had to go through security. That took like 20 minutes. So those "two hours" were taken up with 1:20 hours before we ever approached the gate (and to me, that felt a little close - since they start boarding 30 minutes before the flight - we were only about 10 minutes early to the gate which, to us, is cutting it too close).

I'd appreciate hearing if others have had waits at the EasyJet counter to check baggage. The way they seem to work is that they have several flights departing at about the same time, with some workers to do the checking of luggage, and it goes slowly. In Pisa, for example, there was simply no one to check the luggage until very close to flight time (and again, we weren't checking that time - but others were biting their nails) and then, they showed up and the line was opened up. They were still quite rigid about having the plane leave on time, though. I think they are better staffed at Orly, but would like to know others' experiences.

For a 9 a.m. flight on Easy Jet, not knowing how security lines will be at Orly (will people take off to watch the Marathon? No idea), we'd want to get there by 6:30. But we are notorious for waiting longer near the gate than some other people do. I missed a flight once, learned my lesson.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

Hulahoop, you've been obsessing over this for quite some time.

Personally, I would not leave getting to Orly on Marathon day (or any other day) to Shuttle-Inter. Nor would I rely on Google time estimates.

Allowing an hour to get there, two hours for check-in, passport control, security, plus an extra half hour seems quite reasonable.

It's always better to allow more time than less.

Look at it this way...once at Orly, if the line is very, very, long, and moving very, very, slow, to check in bags, will you wish you had gotten there earlier to join the line?

Would you rather have time to spare or wish you'd left earlier?

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

I think we will probably have to sleep in our 'traveling' clothes to cut back on the morning getting ready time.

I hope you can understand me why I was a little shock that we would have to leave the apartment at 5:30am when the trip to the airport is under 30 mins. I didn't think that it would take 3 hours to board a plane. I had originally plan for 6am and I must admit even 6:30 but didn't feel comfortable cutting it too close.

I have read that Orly is a much smaller and easier airport that CDG.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 13:48
US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

This is a new site from G7?

http://www.wecab.com/en/

Based on their quote for my postcode 75005 the rate is Euro 50.

That's the rate for 4 passengers.

We can' request for a certain car right?

For 1 passenger it is 44 Euros.

I don't think there is any extra charge for my early hours.

I am not sure how some of you booked for 30/35 Euros

I tried to place a booking and it asked me for the street number and a drop down option of 'Bis', 'Ter' and 'Qua'. I tried them all and I got error for my address.

Is there an easier way to book without calling by phone.

I can't speak a word of French.

Level Contributor
7,834 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pickup from Apartment to Orly

I don't think there is any necessity in booking this now...G7 has an English line you call day before and they are in the business of getting people to the airport and know the traffic and road situation for the next morning. Frankly sleeping in your traveling clothes...well i assume you were joking and what is 30 min. with or without kids when you probably are not going to sleep that well night before traveling anyway. You can catch up in Rome. ORLY may be a small airport but it has mostly low cost airlines with high high volume and frankly from what I have seen alot of chaos in the lines. Why cut it close??? Your have heard this before but you are really over thinking this and it is just not a valid source of concern. Also until the day before you don't know if you are dealing with weather.