We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Understand transportation/ museum passes

California
Level Contributor
338 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Understand transportation/ museum passes

I am looking at staying near Disney and then going between Paris and Disney. I am trying to decide which pass/ ticket combo would be the best.

We arrive on a Sunday and leave the next Sunday so I was thinking the week pass and just purchasing whatever we would need for the day on Sunday. This would mean I could get to Versailles, the aiport the city center, plus Disney itself. ( which is where our apartment will be near).

The other option I was considering was the visitor pass for five days but from what I understand it must be used on consecutive days. So we would have to do Disney all in a row. So then it I thought about the week pass with the museum pass.

So for the expert out there if we want to see these places: louvre, d'orsay, Versailles, Norte dame, opera house, arch and Eiffel Tower at a leisurely pace ( with children) how many days do you think that would take? Also which passes do you think would work the best?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
118,108 Reviews
Paris, France
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

Navigo Decouverte Pass is valid Monday- Sunday. It costs E 5 and requires small 25x30 mm photo. You load it for zones 1-5 E 34.40 and it covers all your travel needs within this week. You would just need to take a taxi to your accommodation on first Sunday.

Problem is there is not discounted children ND.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,669 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

I didn't think the airports were included on the navigo pass.

I wonder how many days you plan on actually visiting Disney.. as its a 45 minute train ride into Paris . If you have young kids and think you will spend more then 3 days visiting Disney, then guess that may work out fine but for slightly older kids I suggest you stay in Paris and just visit Disney.

1.5 hours on a train each day... think about it..

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

Mobilis doesn't cover airports, but Navigo 1-5 does. It's valid for unlimited travel on Bus, Metro, RER and even Roissy Bus.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

CDG is in zone 5. OP was advised to buy a 5 zone pass. Versailles is in Zone 4, I believe, so also covered if you get Zone 1-5. For what is essentially 39.40€ per person (given that each must pay the 5€ one time fee for the card - next time it will be 5€ per person).

I strongly recommend a taxi upon arrival - but don't know what the fare to Disney will be.

As to the 1.5 hour commute per day, I don't know where in California Bearette is from, but to some of us, that doesn't sound *too* bad. I commuted longer than that when my kids were small - although naturally, eventually found a way to get around having them in the car that long. But on vacation, we think nothing of driving back and forth to Disney (3.5 hours RT, minimum - and we might still go to Universal, 2.5 hours RT from me a couple of days later...)

So it depends on the kids' commute tolerance. Mine have tolerated trips on vacation very well - with much longer times sitting down in cars; trains are more fun than cars.

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,028 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

There is no pass with museum and transport options. You can buy a transport pass and the Navigo Decouverte is definitely the best for your timing (they don't have them for kids, but I'd get them adult passes and be done with it for the conveience) There are Paris Visite 5 day passes for kids 11 and under which you could use if you only plan to commute to Paris for 5 days.

And you can buy the museum pass separately for the adults which might be useful if you plan to visit enough museums and monuments that are included in it. The kids are free.

I'd stay in Paris and commute to Disney rather than the other way around or stay 3 nights/2 full days at Disney and then switch to paris for your final days.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
California
Level Contributor
338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

I should have mentioned my kids are 1 almost 2.

Also a so cal girl so a long commute is doable. Especially as no car seat needed on metro. We choose Disney for price and we plan a 3/4 day visit. We love theme parks and have an annual pass at home so this is a big draw for us. I can get a 1 bedroom there for less then a studio in central paris so that finalized that decision .

The shuttle sounds best to get to and form airport. The quotes are 100 to 160Euro roundtrip depending on shared or private and they provide car seats too. Way easier then luggage, kids and strollers on metro.

There is a pass that has museums and transport called Paris Pass. Though it only includes a handful of museums but it is expensive. Sounds like tourist trap at over 100 Euro. The more I researched and from what you all have shared it doesn't sound good for.this trip. The week pass and adding a museum pass will be best.

With my suggested itinerary would 3 or 4 days be needed in Paris/Versailles? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,575 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

<<There is a pass that has museums and transport called Paris Pass. >>

This is not really a pass, it is a collection of various fares or passes which you can easily purchase separately a far lower cost. For example, it includes the Paris Visite Pass but only the zone 1-3 variety. If you want to use it to cover Disney or Versailles, you would need to go to a RATP service window and pay the difference.

I have never seen a scenario where purchasing the Paris Pass was justified.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,028 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

Children the age of yours are free on the RER/metro but I cant imagine commuting into Paris for several days with two kids this age although I guess if they are good stroller travelers that would work.

As noted above the 'Paris Pass' is not a pass, it is a marketing tool to bundle existing passes and add a fee for so doing. The passes included are the Visite and the Museum pass already noted as well as a few coupons for other attractions.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

Do not book any airport shuttles, especially those requiring prepayment. They are very unreliable.

Don't accept any offers from inside terminal either.Take regular cab outside the terminal, and phone G7 taxi night before returning to the airport.

10. Re: Understand transportation/ museum passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17