We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chess Sets

San Diego...
Level Contributor
883 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Chess Sets

My seven year old loves to play chess. Any suggestions where I might buy a chess set for him as a souvenir. I would prefer a Paris/France theme - but it's not a necessity. I found a place called Games of Blue in the 5th. Does anyone know if it's still open? Thank you.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chess Sets

You can google the phrase "magasin de jeux paris" (games store Paris) or "magasin jeux d'echecs paris" (chess game stores paris) and get several results and then go to their websites to see if they have French themed chess sets, or just visit the stores in person. Finding a French themed chess set may prove difficult but I really have never looked into it. You might, however, have better luck with a Paris/French themed chess set if you stop in one of the many souvenir stores you'll find in the heavily touristed areas (near Notre Dame, on rue de Rivoli near the Louvre etc.).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
883 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chess Sets

Great. Thanks FM.

los angeles
Level Contributor
913 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chess Sets

S33333.

www.houseofstaunton.com

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chess Sets

Hi, Not quite chess, but at the Louvre you can buy an ancient Egyptian game that might also interest: boutiquesdemusees.fr/en/…4559.html

Are you going to London by any chance? The perfect souvenir would be the Lewis Chess Men: britishmuseumshoponline.org/invt/cmcp33410…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chess Sets

There are some excellent chess sets in the shops of the Passage Jouffroy. (Or is it the Passage des Panoramas right across from it?)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chess Sets

Jouffroy.

los angeles
Level Contributor
913 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chess Sets

you can also check the pricing on www.uscfsales.com

proceeds help the u.s. chess federation. lots of theme chess sets.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
883 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chess Sets

Thanks everyone. I'm going to definitely check out the passages as we are staying in the 2nd.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
883 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chess Sets

@Intrepid. Not going to London this trip. Paris, South of France and Rome. I love London though - will have to check out the Chessmen there next time we go.

10. Re: Chess Sets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 21:05