We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London and Paris with my family

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
London and Paris with my family

Hello. I will be traveling to Europe for two weeks this summer with my husband and three children ranging in ages from 17 to 7. We are flying into London and flying out of Paris two weeks later. We want to spend about 4 nights in London, 4 nights in Paris and then 4-5 nights in one other place. We feel that 3 locations would be enough moving around for the family without too much exhaustion for the kids. Can anyone suggest a place to base ourselves in for the middle few nights? Perhaps somewhere else in England, France, or maybe a different country - Switzerland? Holland? Italy? We would do London --xxxx--Paris----home. Thank you!!

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
433 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London and Paris with my family

I am sure there are a million places to pick from. What about Disney? We are going to Alsace for a week before Paris and are very excited about it. Good luck!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London and Paris with my family

You could consider 4 nights in London, 2 nights in Amsterdam and the rest in Paris with couple out of town day trips.

Toowoomba Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London and Paris with my family

Why not train or drive London-Edinburgh ?

It is a great city, Easy walking sightseeing, and full of history.

Personally I would divide the time between London and Paris, and spend a few extra days in each. Good luck.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London and Paris with my family

Amsterdam is the natural choice. It's not too far away from London and Paris and it's different enough to give you variation.

you can also do 5 London, 2-3 Disneyland (stay on site), 5 Paris.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,672 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London and Paris with my family

I have spent a week to 10 days with my family in each of London, Paris and Rome and would recommend with two weeks open jaw, doing a week in London and a week in Paris with 2 or 3 day trips from each location. From London, my daughter and I visited Bath, Canterbury, and Salisbury Cathedral. From Paris there are dozens of choices that allow for a varied experience. Here are a few we have done recently.

…wordpress.com/category/day-trips-from-paris/

And of course there are the obvious ones like Versailles, Chartres, Giverny and Disneyland.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: London and Paris with my family

Unless you have been to Paris and London many times already, 1 week in each city, including 2 day trips-- at most-- close to each city, will only allow you see a tiny bit of what these 2 extraordinary cities have to offer...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London and Paris with my family

You have to figure that moving from one location to another will eat up about one full day, no matter which method of travel you choose or how far you will be going. It's easy to forget about waiting in lines, allowing time for security checks, checking in and out of hotels, dealing with checked luggage, finding places to eat during all that...

Whatever you choose to do, make sure to verify opening times and days of the places you hope to visit. Nothing worse than arriving on a Sunday or Monday, when many businesses close. Museums may technically close at 6 PM, for example - but will stop selling tickets about an hour before that.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London and Paris with my family

I agree with those who recommend a week in each place. There are a ton of day trips you can do by train from both London and Paris which will enable you to see some other areas of both countries without having to pack up and move.

I agree that Amsterdam would be the logical place if you are going to add a 3rd city, but then I think it would make more sense to fly into London and home from Amsterdam.

If you wanted to do Edinburgh, I would fly into Edinburgh and home from Paris with train in between.

Of course, if you've already bought your plane tickets then a lot of this will not be relevant.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London and Paris with my family

We're visiting this summer for almost three weeks. We're doing 8 nights in London, 4 nights in Paris and 6 nights in Ghent (Belgium). The thing is, we have to be in London and Belgium for hubbie's work. I squeezed in four nights in Paris because we were tehre last summer and loved it. If I was going for only two weeks, I'd visit London for one week and Paris for the next. Even having been last summer, I'm having a terrible time doing an itinerary as there's still so much we haven't seen in Paris. I'm also having a hard time fitting everythng in in London with 8 nights. (we also have three children but ages are 6 to 11) With a week in each, you could visit the Harry Potter studios, Windsor and still have five days to explore London. You could also visit Versailles and possibly another day trip outside of Paris plus you'd have five full days to explore that amazing city. I honestly wouldn't try to squeeze in another place. Also, I'm finding that another place adds a whole other expense. Four days for us in Paris means we're in a hotel instead of apartment. We also have train expenses getting to each location. Two stops is much less expensive. Just my two cents :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London and Paris with my family

casperjj - that's a good point about hotels vs apts for stays of less than one week.

The majority of apts don't rent for less than 5 nights, and the price is generally much cheaper by the week. You could find a hotel for the same price or even less.