We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Paris to Venice

Newcastle, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip Paris to Venice

My husband & our 2 sons, 17 & 20, will be visiting UK & Europe in July this year. After a 2-night stay in Paris, we wish to make our way over to Italy to visit Venice, Tuscany & Rome. We like the idea of hiring a car & doing a road trip from Paris to Venice & would take 3-4 days to do it. We are aware of the hefty surcharges incurred when dropping off the car in a different country but feel it might be worth it to have the convenience of a car. We would hope to see quaint towns & villages & beautiful scenery, mountains, lakes etc. & not necessarily stick to the major motorways. Is this plan advisable? If so, what is a good scenic route between Paris & Venice? We are open to all suggestions!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,888 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

I think it would mark more sense to fly to Venice and use the car to explore Tuscany and the countryside in Italy.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

Agree with above.

Cannot imagine being cooped up in a small vehicle - four adults - all the way from Paris to Venice.

And, there's far too much to see and do along the way than you could accomplish in 3-4 days.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

posts 1 & 2 are offering very sound advice - well worth heeding

fly to Venice (from Paris) then hire a car (a car will be useless to you in Venice anyway - (there is parking but it can be expensive) then hire car for Tuscany

for optimistic distances, costs of tolls, cost of fuel use www.viamichelin.com

Importantly - avail yourself of open-jaw airline ticket/s e.g fly into Paris fly out of Rome to Oz !

have a great trip !

Edited: 18 February 2014, 05:29
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

In the time you have available, a road trip over this distance is not a good idea. If you stay on motorways, it will take at least 12 hours of driving (plus stops) at a cost of €156.80 in tolls and around €125 in fuel. If you avoid the motorways, it will take 20 hours of driving and cost around €150 in fuel. It is not a good use of your limited time.

5. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 January 2016, 21:30
Edited: 30 January 2016, 21:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

Look, we have done it as part of a planned trip, but we have had much longer to do it and rarely went on the motorways to do so.I would fly cheaply to Venice from Paris, stay in Venice, then pick up a car for travel through Tuscany, maybe ending in Rome. As others have advised, this is not a good use of limited time

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

By the way, do I hear a 2 night (one day plus a little bit) stay in Paris. That seems absurd unless you have spent considerable time there before. Paris is a major city with major sights. It cannot be seen in one day.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

A week in Paris is the minimum needed to do it justice. 4 days is a minimum in Venice. That is unless you say "oh I've seen the Eiffel Tower, so I've done Paris" & "I've seen St Mark's Square, so I've done Venice!"

9. Re: Road trip Paris to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:18