We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute packing question

chicago, il.
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute packing question

Leaving today for Paris. Soo excited! My husband wants to bring gym shoes for everyday walking shoes? Do they wear gym shoes in restaurants etc..?? How is the weather there now? Coming from Chicago do I still need a winter coat or can I get by with a light jacket or sweater? thanks..

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute packing question

Temperature has been between 0 and 10 all winter (that´s 32 and 50F). I would definitely wear winter coats, scarves (preferably 6 feet long and wrapped stylishly around your neck), and gloves. Don´t forget umbrellas.

Wear comfortable clothes. If that is means gym shoes, go ahead. No one will mistake you for Parisians anyway so pretense is rather pointless. I wouldn´t wear gym shoes in a restaurant but if that is what you do at home, do the same here.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,672 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute packing question

grownups in gym shoes on the street look like rubes -- it is too late for him to find comfortable grownup walking shoes however so if trainers is all he has, so be it. In Europe adults who wear athletic shoes on the street tend to get dark colored, less obtrusive ones than the white clodhoppers favored in the US.

Ultimately no one cares what other people wear. I was however publicly ridiculed by a tour guide in a museum in London many years ago for wearing white gym shoes. I wore them back then for the same reason your husband wants to wear them, because I had no other type of walking shoe.

Now I have several pairs of shoes I can walk in on pavement all day with comfort and none of them are gym shoes.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute packing question

No one will look at his feet, and no one cares - everybody's too busy worrying about the economy.

White gym shoes are just not practical, since the streets are so dirty - that's the real reason everyone wears black in Paris! Plus, white gym shoes would make his feet look fat... ; )

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute packing question

My husband and I just returned from Paris. We're from Ohio. We were also unclear about what type of coats to wear so I packed a light North Face fleece and a waterproof Eddie Bauer light jacket. With my scarf and gloves (no hat) I was never cold. Some days I wore both coats, with a light sweater underneath, a few days I only wore the Eddie Bauer jacket. Paris was nowhere near as cold as the midwest has been this winter.

As far as shoes - I wore boots everyday and my husband wore leather Timberland boots. We chose those instead of gym shoes because they were more resistant to water.

Have a great time!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute packing question

You are leaving today - - don't argue about shoes now. Shoes that might 'stand out' a little but are broken in and great for walking are far better than 'stylish' shoes that look 'adult' and proper but may rub, blister and provide less support. No one will really care - - it would, however, be great if he could take a 2nd pair of loafers or lace-ups to wear to nicer restaurants in the evening. If he doesn't have any, then no further stressing about it! Go, have a good time!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute packing question

You / He doesn't have time and choice, but .... NOOOO !!!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,084 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute packing question

I belong to gyms in Seattle and Tucson and rarely see people working out in white shoes these days. The colors are varied and fun. Perhaps the OP's husband isn't planning to pack white. But even if he is, I've seen many Parisians on the streets during the day in gym shoes (sometimes white) when casually dressed, especially in recent years. He should wear what is comfortable -- regardless of style and color -- for handling lots of walking. I would vote, however, for something more dressy when dining in the evening at good restaurants.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute packing question

It's still chilly so bring a coat and scarf and gloves (I don't wear gloves but my wife requires them). Everyone in Paris wears a scarf, it's part of the uniform (along with black).

And an umbrella, as it rains at some point most every day, though usually not for long and never much more than a light rain.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute packing question

No one cares. Lots of French speaking people wear gym shoes. There are all kinds. It's true that white stands out in winter, but who cares? Certainly not the citizens of Paris who are not going to be sparing much time to look or think about you, they are quite busy with their own lives.

Just like at home. When was the last time you really cared what shoes some other person from another party wore at a restaurant?

Now, as to how this affects the marriage, I cannot say! But hopefully, he will realize the error of his ways and religiously break in a more urbane pair of shoes - but if not...c'est la vie and still no one else but the two of you will ever know or care.

Let us know when you get back if you had time to feel awkward or to care much about the issue while there. I'm guessing you'll be happy and exhausted as you sink into those restaurant chairs and no one, anywhere, will be caring about his shoes! (Unless his feet hurt).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute packing question

Just wear whatever is comfy, your feet with thank you at the end of a long day of walking.