We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar or flights

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Eurostar or flights

I am looking at having a long weekend in Paris in March.

Which is the best way to get there?

I've found deals for both flights & Eurostar but I am unsure what the best way would be.

I welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,105 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar or flights

For travel from London city centre to Paris city centre, you cannot beat Eurostar which will take only 2h30 or so for the journey.

If you fly, you have to be at the airport 2 hours before departure, mess around with Security, wait for your luggage when you arrive, and then get from an airport into Paris.

This really is a no-brainer, especially as you can get a Eurostar from Ebbsfleet.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,633 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar or flights

Agree with Nick. I am a frequent traveller and if I can get organised and book the train at the best price, I will always choose Eurostar. I can also fly from Luton to CDG, which is relatively painless for me, but the train is easy, especially if you can hop on at Ebbsfleet, or Ashford, if preferred.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar or flights

Another 1 for Eurostar. Direct to the city centre, less hassle with check-in & security etc, more room to move about & more relaxing. Book as early as you can, the price will rise as you get nearer departure date.

maidstone, england
Level Contributor
283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar or flights

As you live in Chatham, you can easily get to Ebbsfleet, which does have more trains for Paris than Ashford, which is where I prefer to go from. Its much less hassle, its the only way I travel to Paris. Agreed the earlier you book the less you pay for the tickets,

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar or flights

Yet another vote for Eurostar.

Even though I live nearer Heathrow than St Pancras, I would much prefer to take the train for all the reasons mentioned above - it's much more comfortable and relaxing.

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
564 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar or flights

We chose Eurostar last year and again this year, even though the flight would have been FREE as part of our ticket. By buying an advance Eurostar ticket, total cost for central London to central Paris (with heavy bags that preclude tube transport) was less than transportation to LHR and then from CDG. Total travel time was also less. And no worries about the bottle of wine in the suitcase.

7. Re: Eurostar or flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:19