We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Hi everyone, my two friends and I are going to Paris, and we're trying to decide between two apartments to rent. One is in northern Montmartre (very close to Jules Joffrin Station), and the other apartment is in the 11th Arrondissement, very close to Ménilmontant Station and Rue Oberkampf. Which area is better to visit, and which place is better to set up base at?

Both areas seem to have an appeal, but I'm not sure which one is best for a first-time trip to Paris. We want nightlife options, which I know Oberkampf has, but I'm not sure if Montmartre has that (non-sleazy ones ha). We also want to be safe and be able to get around the city fairly easily from our location. Thanks so much for your help!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

My vote would go to the 11th.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

I'm with F1racegirl.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Thanks for your vote, HappyGoin (and F!racegirl)! Any particular reason you recommend the 11th over the 18th?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Well, I choose to stay in the 11th, so perhaps I'm biased, but the metro connections from République are for sure better.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

I agree with HappyGoin. Besides being a fan of the 11th, I think it is a more central location than Northern Montmartre.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Totally agree. Northern Montmartre is fine, but for a first trip I'd want to be closer to the city center.

Paris...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Oberkampf has a great night life (especially for students) and is particularly lively/busy at weekends.

Jules Joffrin is closer to Clignancourt than Montmartre - it looks close on the map but Montmartre is quite hilly. Montmartre is a nice (but touristy) place to visit by day and easy to get to on Metro line 2 (blue) from Menilmontant. If you get hungry, Belleville has lots of supermarkets and eateries (Asian discount and Monoprix,) for example La Cantine (cheap 2/3 course lunch or early dinner) or Dong Huong (Vietnamese snacks.)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Thank you for the great advice, pauligato (better late than never, right?) and thanks everyone else too! We ended up booking a place that's right on Rue Oberkampf. What are your favorite bars in the area? We aren't really into clubs, but we like casual bars that play good indie/rock music. Any suggestions? :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

Paris does not have a great indie rock/alternative scene. But are you talking about live music or just the house music being played on a stereo inside a bar? Regardless, you can check L'International at 5/7 rue Moret or you can check Au Petit Garage at 63 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud. If you walk up and down rue Oberkampf and the parallel rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud you can just listen to what kind of music is being played as you walk by the bars.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Montmartre or Rue Oberkampf for 1st trip to Paris?

French_Mystique, either live music or just what's playing on the stereo. Thanks for the specific recommendations! :)