We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Intermediate Size

New York
Level Contributor
536 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Intermediate Size

Wondering if anyone has rented an Intermediate Car @ CDG Airport ???

Say's Peugeot 3008 or Similar ? ( don't what the similar type car is...not shown on the site)

We are 3 adults..with (.3) 25 inch hardside luggage & 1 each small carryon.

Info states : 5 passenger type car.

Tried calling the Rental Company, but they too are looking at the same info I am & cannot give definite info.

Please advise if there is anyone that has rented that type car & perhaps you can give me some information as to the actual size of the car.

We will be using the Rental Car to drive to Brugge & Gent Belgium & parts of Germany

Appreciate any information to assist us.

Thanks in advance

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
982 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

You might check Peugeot's website or their leasing website. When we leased a Peugeot van for a five week trip in France, their website showed good pictures of the vehicle as well as exact measurements of the cargo space, leg room etc. BTW, if you are going to have the car for 17 days or more, you might consider leasing rather the renting. Good luck and have a good trip.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

That's a LOT of bags. You may have a serious problem with 3 25" bags plus 3 carry on bags.

Like American car rental companies, you cannot rely on "intermediate" or, worse, "similar".

Get the measurements.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

Some examples of intermediate you might be familiar with are Audi A4, VW Passat or Opel Vectra. You can see them (and others of course) including the luggage areas at http://parkers.co.uk

I agree that the hard sided luggage is going to be a problem. We had a Passat wagon rented in Nice and with my wife and daughter's 25 inch bags plus my 22 inch rollaboard there was only barely room for a laptop bag and 2 small stuffable bags under the cover in the luggage bay.

You might end up with a 3008 and that will likely be roomy enough... but you might get something with less luggage capacity. See if you can reduce the bag size or better yet have at least 2 people use softsided luggage that can be crushed and stuffed.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

The Peugeot 3008 should be OK, but the "or similar" may be a problem. The 3008 is termed a "Crossover" or "Mid sized SUV" so while the rental company may classify it as an intermediate car it has a cavern of a trunk and the intermediate category could also include mid sized sedans without so much room in the trunk. We have leased the 3008 in the past for 3 people with large roll-ons and cabin bags and still had room for a large cooler bag and various bottles and shopping bags over a 2 month trip, all still under the security cover.

One point to be aware of, not obvious, is that the floor of the trunk can be at multiple levels, so ensure that it is at the lowest level.

The dimensions of the trunk are as follows: 25" high, 29" deep, 40" wide.

peugeoteurolease.co.nz/model-range/…

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

It's not whether the bags are hard or soft, rather the size and number. With three people, you could always use a seat for bags...but you wouldn't want to leave them visible in the car when parked...And, if the vehicle you reserve is not available...all bets are off.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

If you rent, you don't get to choose a specific model of car - just one in that class of car. If you lease, you do get a specific car, pretty much. But there are certain requirements for leasing that are different. At any rate, you're likely going to need a bigger car or cut down on all that luggage.

If the rental company can't explain what similar cars in that category are, find another company. I have always used AutoEurope or its sister company Kemwel. They can answer any questions you may have, and their websites are pretty comprehensive.

New York
Level Contributor
536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

Thank you so much for your response

We too have rented an Intermediate Car in Paris twice before, but it was an Opel Zifira which had more than enough room for 3 peope & luggage.

Car rentals are now saying Peugeot 3008 ( intermediate) which looks much like the Opel Zifira ??

Anyway...I am concerned abt the "or similar" ....

Will do some further research & perhaps have the Car Rental customer service place a message in my reservation requesting the Peugeot....not sure if that would work, but will give it my best shot.

Thanks again to all

New York
Level Contributor
536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

Thanks for your reply, but it'll be tough cutting down on the standard US 25 inch luggage (1 each) for 3 adults.

We'll be touring France, Belgium & Germany for 3 full weeks.

Basically the luggage will only be in the car as we drive to different areas to check into hotels.

New York
Level Contributor
536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

Thanks for your response.

cutting down on luggage size may not be an option for us, especially when visiting France, Belgium & Germany for 3 weeks...will speak to the car rental company & attempt to resolve the "or similar" situation.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car Intermediate Size

Have a look at http://www.onebag.com I have done 6 weeks with a soft carry on bag. I use a 22 inch roller now

and wouldn't take anything bigger for 3 weeks.

And yes, soft bags can make a huge difference when it comes to fitting things into trunks of vehicles.