We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another metro pass question

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Another metro pass question

I have read many of the threads about carnets, Visite Pass, Paris Pass, Decouverte, etc. & I understand the differences, yet I am still undecided for our 2 wk stay in June. My husband & I will be taking our 1st trip to Paris, staying in Le Marais, arriving CDG on a Saturday, leaving by train from Gare du Nord also on a Saturday. I'm considering a one-way single train ticket CDG to Bastille, then staying within walking distance (Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, Bvd St. Germain) on Sat & Sun until the Decouverte pass is active for the next week (Mon thru Sun). The one trip I am sure we will take outside of Zone 1-2 during our 2 wks will be Versailles.

My question is - if we get one week of Zone 1-5 & go to Versailles during that week, are there other destinations on the Metro in Zone 3-5 that anyone can recommend in order to make use of the larger travel area while we have it? We could then probably get the pass for just zone 1-2 for the other week. We are also willing to walk, so I wonder if (weather permitting) we might just do better with a couple of carnets & a Versailles round trip as needed instead of a pass?

I appreciate the sage advice from the experienced travelers on this site - thanks in advance!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another metro pass question

I would go ahead and get the Navigo Decouverte for both weeks. The convenience of having the pass makes it worth it IMO. I would just buy individual tickets to Versailles. And perhaps go ahead and get a carnet of metro tickets upon arrival - in the whole scheme of things the cost of 13.70 is pretty small for 2 days of transportation.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another metro pass question

Bravo Culverman, you did your homework.

I wholeheartedly advise Navigo Decouverte Pass. One week for zones 1-2 E20.40 (central Paris) and another 1-4 E 32.0 (if only for Versailles) or 1-5 E34.40 for something further like Disneyland or Fontainebleau.

If you're staying in Marais and plan on walking on your first full day in Paris- you won't even need any additional tickets, except for E9.75 to get from CDG.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another metro pass question

If your only trip out of Paris will be to Versailles, there is no need to purchase other than zone 1-2 NDs at 20.40€. You may easily purchase a Supplément de Parcours just before travelling to Versailles costing just a couple of euros which will extend the ND for that leg. You will purchase a second Supplément de Parcours for the return trip back to Paris.

The procedure for purchasing a Supplément de Parcours is explained, in English if you like, at the Navigo kiosks.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another metro pass question

You can use your navigo for zones 1-2 to go to Versailles or anywhere outside zone 2 by adding a "complément de parcours" within 3 hours of your trip. It saves you a little money but not much and on the way back people say the ticket machines at Versailles are crowded.

If you prefer the convenience of a zone 1-5 pass, you also have Fontainebleau, Auvers-sur-Oise, Provins, Vaux-le-Vicomte and Blandy-les-Tours that come to mind. With a zone 1-4 pass, aside from Versailles you could add Malmaison or Sceaux (zone 3), Maisons-Laffitte, St-Germain-en-Laye, Marly-le-Roi and the nearby Louveciennes (zone 4). It all depends on your interests.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another metro pass question

Mrs FM is correct. It is indeed a Complément de parcours not a Supplément.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another metro pass question

There are lots of trips within Zones 1-5 that are worthwhile, but you really need to see the part of Paris that is zones 1 and 2. One trip out of the central zones, for most tourists, is plenty - there's just too much to see in Zones 1 and 2. Don't think of it, necessarily, as "getting what you paid for" - you're paying for convenience as much as anything. Otherwise, you will be penny-wise and pound foolish, methinks. If the few Euros difference is a big deal to you, then just get a Zone 1-2 card and buy separate tickets for Versailles.

The convenience is not having to keep track of separate tickets, I guess.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another metro pass question

<<If the few Euros difference is a big deal to you, then just get a Zone 1-2 card and buy separate tickets for Versailles. >>

That is not how a complément de parcours works. There are no tickets, separate or otherwise, in using a zone 1-2 Navigo for travel to Versailles. Nor is convenience a deciding factor. It´s primarily a matter of understanding how the transportation network functions and of making recommendations which best match someone´s specific needs.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another metro pass question

How may we find out more info before we go -about the "compement de parcours?

Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another metro pass question

Thanks, all, for your input. I always learn something new here! This is very helpful information.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another metro pass question

Basically a complément de parcours allows a Navigo or a Navigo Découverte pass holder to extend, on a single ride basis, the normal range of his pass. For example, holders of a valid zone 1-2 Navigo pass may load their pass, allowing them to travel to CDG (in zone 5), at a cost of about 7€ rather than the normal 9.75€. Any Navigo pass holder may add a complément de parcours fare to his card at any Navigo kiosk, it takes about 30 seconds and the machine tells you exactly what to do, in English if you like. The complément de parcours fare is valid for 3 hours so they must be purchased one at a time.

Of course there comes a point when a pass holder will save money by simply extending his passes zone of validity rather than purchasing multiple compléments de parcours. The complément de parcours however is useful for those holding a zone 1-2 Navigo pass and who may want to make a single trip to Disney or Versailles.