We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection time at CDG

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Connection time at CDG

I am arriving at CDG Airport from the U.S. at Terminal 2E on Air France. I have a layover of 1 hr. & 25 minutes to catch an Air France flight to Nice at Terminal 2F. Is this enough time to go through customs & security, assuming that my flight is on time? The next flight is not for almost 4 hours. I know it will be close but my flights are not until June and I am debating on changing to the later flight.

Thank you

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection time at CDG

Confused. Do you have 1 hour and 25 minutes from scheduled landing to the next departure or "just under 4 hours"?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection time at CDG

If you are on one ticket, your luggage will be checked through and will go through Customs at Nice. However, you will have to go through Immigration (Passport Control) at CDG and this can take some time.

I would not risk a 1h25 connection.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection time at CDG

another vote to just take the 4-hour connection from the get-go, because unless you're pretty lucky, you'll end up flying that flight standby anyway.

1h25 is theoretically possible, but realistically unlikely.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection time at CDG

Okay, I get it now. Agree with the others. The time indicated as your landing time is often the time the plane hits the tarmack (sometimes it's five minutes before). By the time you taxi to the gate and the plane is ready for offloading, it's usually about 10-15 minutes past the scheduled time for landing. Then, it takes 10-20 minutes depending on where you sit to get off the plane (unless first class).

Passport control *can* be quick (as quick as 10-15 minutes, although my DH says it was never 10 minutes, it was always at least 15), but it can also be an hour. At least twice it's been 45 minutes for us. Then you'd have to go back through security.

If you are not boarded into the plane by the time they say you should be (usually 20-30 minutes before take-off) they can and will give your seat to someone else and you'll have an upcharge. If you're flying on the same airline, they will likely get you on that later flight (or the next flight where they can - by getting you a seat, usually, through depriving some other late arrival). Air France is pretty prompt about its boarding calls. They start paging people 15-20 minutes before takeoff and they usually board about 30 minutes before takeoff (sometimes earlier).

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection time at CDG

It is doable, -I have done it several times- assuming your incoming flight arrives on time, and the transfer from 2E to 2F is very easy. On my upcoming trip I have one connection of 1 hr 20 min, the other 1 hr 5 min and I'm fine with it.

That being said, if this is your first time connecting in CDG, I would recommend the 4 hour layover.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection time at CDG

There will be plenty of people making the same transfer as you. Air France will be watching for everybody.

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection time at CDG

Thank you and Thanks to everyone that has replied. I appreciate the information and I am still unsure. I have been checking the average arrival times for this flight from Atlanta and it is consistently 30 minutes early. I will probably stay with my original flight.

RLJAGS

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection time at CDG

If you are prepared to roll with whatever happens then you can certainly chance it on one ticket. If it is important to be in Nice on the day you are scheduled then you should get a later connection. There is no guarantee there would be space on the next flight when you arrive, so it is possible that missing the connection could add a day to the trip. I tend to be conservative on this sort of thing because I hate the anxiety of almost missed connections even if I make the plane -- but if you go in with a 50- 50 chance is okay with me attitude, you can certainly risk it and quite possibly make it.

9. Re: Connection time at CDG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:18