We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help when your baby is not well

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
191 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need help when your baby is not well

I have the european health insurance card, however, my 7-month-old does not have it,

Does it mean that if my baby is unwell in Paris, it makes no difference whether i bring him to a state hospital or a private doctor? I will have to pay in both cases. Is it correct?

My sincere thanks,

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,850 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

For goodness sake take baby to doctor and worry about money later if child is really unwell. I am assuming its not just a cold something common since taking a child to a doctor for that would be useless unless cold symptoms have gone on for at least a week or child has a high fever that you can't bring down with medicine from pharmacy.

I think medical care will be equally good so please don't think that you need to pay big bucks for private doctor .. take child to emergency if need be.. regardless medical care is reasonable ( not like states .. ) so don't risk childs health worrying about the money . If you are destitute they would still not turn away the child.

Level Contributor
191 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

Thank you for your kind advice. My baby is ok, i just want to ask so that I know what to do when thing happen.

On the Uk Nhs, they explain what to do with state hospitals in France, but did not explain the part about private doctors, so i want to ask.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

Every place we've ever stayed, whether hotel or apartment, has had a doctor's name and number or doctor service to call in case of illness. It's much cheaper to use these services in France than to visit a doctor in the States.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

Why not just get a card for the baby?

You can apply on the baby's behalf as a parent or legal guardian

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

If there was an emergency you would be sent to the nearest public hospital or possibly to the children's hospital (Hôpital Necker at 149 rue de Sèvres in the 15th). Just dial 15 or 112 (in English). They would apply the normal fare which would be covered by the NHS.

If it wasn't too serious and you felt seeing a doctor was enough you would just want to make sure the doctor applies the 'tarif conventionné' (meaning he/she wouldn't charge more than the social security fare). In this case you would have to pay upfront: 23 € at a doctor's office for a GP, more if they come to your hotel or if it's a pediatrician and the NHS would then reimburse you.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 01:22
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

Official info: nhs.uk/NHSEngland/…about-the-ehic.aspx

Check: 'How do I get an EHIC for my child?'

You can add your baby to your card and s/he will be issued a separate card.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

In addition to the EHIC, it's always advisable to take out adequate travel insurance. I have an annual policy which means that even if I have just a quick day trip to France, I'm covered.

With children involved, I think it's even more important.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

When 4 years old, my son fell out of bed and suffered a serious cut, requiring sutures. Fortunately, my wife speaks excellent French. After a few hours at the children's hospital he was stitched (expertly, we later learned) and feeling better.

Less than a week later, we received the bill -- for less than EUR 150! Had this happened in the US, we would have been charged a minimum of $1000, probably more. In fact, it is likely that our costs BEFORE our insurance kicked on would exceed what we paid in France.

In short -- don't worry about it. I may dislike Parisian taxi drivers and the BHV staff, but their healthcare system in world class.

Level Contributor
1,871 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

I'd also advise travel insurance. EHIC doesn't cover for stuff like medical transport home, if needed.

Level Contributor
27,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help when your baby is not well

I know it can be wise to be prepared, but you do seem to be a bit obsessed with something going wrong, OP.

I hope that nothing happens and that your trip is smooth.

EH1C cards for all AND good travel insurance, should see you "covered"...