We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
41 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

We will be visiting Paris in July with our 2 children, ages 9 and 11. My son has some sensory issues, which limits the types of food he will eat. In general, he will eat plain fish or meat (no sauces), steamed or raw veggies, bread, plain pasta (no sauce or butter) and fruit. Even kid-friendly staples (ie grilled cheese, hot dogs) aren't always an option because he'll say the bread is "different" or the hot dog has a "skin" on it. Sigh...

I am wondering if we will be able to bring a small insulated lunch bag into the museums with us as I am planning on packing some fruit/snacks for him. Hoping to bring bottled water in with us as well.

Luckily, my daughter is much easier to travel with as she will eat almost anything :)

Thanks in advance!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

Depends on the museum. Louvre definitely allows water bottles and you can enter and exit as many times as you want on the day you buy the ticket. They have a place to check your bags.

You'd really need to go museum by museum. Most have a place to check your stuff - you certainly can't have him eating snacks *inside* the exhibits. Some museums, obviously, have their own cafés, but whether you can bring in outside food, I don't know (for a kid, probably).

There's not a restaurant or café that doesn't have bread. Raw vegetables of some type are on virtually every menu (as salads, but you can ask to have some things held off).

I am guessing that most museum security staff will allow a small insulated bag for a kid, but otherwise, there's almost always a way of checking these things at the coat/bag check. This is true at museums most places I've traveled (kids, food, art, sometimes expensive flooring or carpeting...not always a good mix). Several bloggers, though, say that a small bottle of water and a piece of fruit discreetly carried is allowed inside (but the Louvre itself says "no eating or drinking inside" except in the cafés, of course).

Ottawa
Level Contributor
41 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

Thanks so much - this is very helpful! I assumed he wouldn't be able to eat in the museums but as long as we can check a small snack bag to retrieve later on our way out, that would be ideal. I am hopeful that the cafés will have something he will eat - the snack bag is more of a "just in case" option.

Thanks again!

3. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 06:05
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

cloakrooms might not accept bag with food and drink

"Larger museums provide cloakrooms and left-luggage services where you can leave your heavy things free of charge for a more comfortable visit. Coats, large umbrellas, rucksacks and small pieces of luggage are accepted.

Items that are not accepted are: cumbersome bags, suitcases, valuables such as cameras, money, identity papers and chequebooks, food and drink."

…parisinfo.com/what-to-see-in-paris/info/faq

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

If the food and drink are securely packaged, you will not have any problem checking it.

What the staff is trying to prevent is people carrying half-eaten sandwiches, open drink cans, etc.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

Surely you aren't planning to stay in a museum for hours and hours? few people do or should...as one can only take so much beauty at once.

How about having the children eat just before going to a museum?...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

I agree with Patty. They will check a bag with water bottles and granola bars in it, no problem. At least at the major museums and some smaller ones like Carnavalet, they will.

And they'll accept cameras and checkbooks, as long as they don't know they are there - they do not inspect your bags at the cloakrooms. It's just that they don't accept any liability for what happens to valuables.

Will he eat ice cream? Because that's what I see people doing in Le Louvre and elsewhere. There's a café in the Louvre (I think it's at one end of the Denon, on an upper floor - not the Angelina's place near the Napoleon apartments) that has ice cream bars. I notice so many North Americans treating their kids to ice cream throughout Paris at a rate higher than I notice at, say, Disneyland, perhaps because the ice cream is so good - and so available. You have to stay in the café area to eat it of course.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

there are pastries at the café inside the Louvre, I recall treating my daughter to a small tarte au chocolat

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

Oh, yes, all the restaurants/cafés inside the Louvre serve pastries and ice cream. My point was "which is most child friendly?" and "do the parents want to also get something there?" If it's a kid fuel-stop, it's better to make it quick.

There are several "cafés" "inside the Louvre" (either actually inside or accessible from inside).

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing food into museums/options for picky eaters

part of it was sitting down for a bit to relax, without having to walk out somewhere and to then have to walk back to museum

when weather is nice one can step out to Tuileries Garden, there is a Paul there that sells sandwiches