We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Tour on the Seine

New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Boat Tour on the Seine

Hello,

I was interested in taking a boat tour on day 1 of our trip in May. I see that there are a lot of options and one of the most popular was the Bateaux Mouches and Bateaux Parisiens. I understand that the BM offers dinner...but do they also offer just the cruise portion if I was not interested in dining there? Any opinions on why you would prefer one over the other? Also, if you have any other recommendations I would appreciate it.

Is this something that would need to be purchased in advance or could we walk up to where the boats are and purchase tickets then? I assume this would vary depending on whether or not you decide to go on a boat with dining options.

Thank you!!

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

You certainly can cruise on Bateaux Mouche without having dinner. On one occasion we took their river cruise on our arrival day from JFK and both fell asleep from jet lag and the drone of the engines.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

Dead easy. Those you listed offer simple cruises as does Vedettes Pont Neuf which launches below Pont Neuf and uses somewhat smaller boats. You don't need to buy ahead although you can get a coupon on line for Vedettes Pont Neuf and by buying ahead you save a few Euro. The coupon can be exchanged for a ticket when it suits you right at the dock. Any of these you can just walk up and get a ticket and board -- if by some unusual circumstance the boat were full, you would just get the next boat. So no need to buy or plan ahead -- you can go when you are near a launch site (near Eiffel Tower, near Pont d'Alma, under Pont Neuf and probably a few other spots.

The prices are modest and don't vary that much. So it can be something you just fit in when you like and it is convenient. I prefer night cruises with the city lit up; if you do one of those be aware that it can be pretty chilly any season and so have a warm jacket if you plan to be on an open deck.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

Thank you

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

I like the Bateaux Mouches because they are the largest and have the greatest expanse both up and downstairs to wander around, even when the boat is crowded. This can be quite important when you want to take lots of pictures. However, the other boat companies are just fine if they are close to where you will be.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

And I like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf because they are the smallest, and I don't want to be on a boat with a big crowd, plus they give you a 3 euro discount online. I would never go the day you arrive; you can always tell who just flew into town from overseas - they're all snoring on the cruise from the hum of the engines and the rocking on the water.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

You can walk up to the booth ,, recommend both lol , it was 15 euros and you will see so much

It is relaxing when yu first arrive.and there is a little restaurant on the river

The other one is for anothere day bateau bus, like a taxi, hop on or off by nt  dame etc

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

It's soporific when you arrive, and there are many restaurants on the river. The Batobus is a good service, but it's more a water taxi, not a boat cruise, and you have to wait for it to show up - sometimes more time than it would would take to walk between the stops.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

Last time I was on the vedettes du pont neuf they did not take credit/debit cards at the ticket booth. Cash only.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

Good point pixfield - cash only at Vedettes de Pont Neuf.

The boats departing from Pont d'Alma do accept credit cards.

For either company, though, you could purchase your tickets online, and print the vouchers.

New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat Tour on the Seine

Would it be too much if we also did a hop on hop off tour as well? Do people tend to do both or either or? Again, we were not looking to do a dinner/lunch cruise...just a tour around the city, and I thought by doing the cruise on the Seine it would be so different than the typical bus tours...First timer, so curious on your thoughts :)

Thanks again!!