We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food and drink for 20-something females' first night

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
food and drink for 20-something females' first night

First time in Paris, two mid-20-year-olds, appreciate good food and drink, a little nightlife, but are not huge spenders.

We are staying in the 20th, near Nation Station.

Thinking of heading into Oberkampf area the first night.

We enjoy small, hidden 'hole-in-the-wall' gems, rather than more trendy places -- would like to eat some french food and drink some wine to celebrate our arrival!

Suggestions on places?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food and drink for 20-something females' first night

Go to Bastille instead of Oberkampf.

http://www.timeout.fr/paris/bar/bastille

That would be a large concentration of hole-in the wall, where as Oberkampf is a bit more "trendy" (and subdued)

What day of the week are you arriving? Also it's hard to rally on the 1st night due to jet lag...

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food and drink for 20-something females' first night

First night? Drink coffee :D

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food and drink for 20-something females' first night

Well if you are arriving in Paris from Canada.. from vic or van.. you are likely arriving in the morning.. and believe me ,,you will likely be pretty tired by 9 pm.. why you ask,, because your body is still going to be thinking its 5 or 6 am ( get mixed up with our daylight savings time) .. so perhaps make it a fun lunch out instead.. But hey .. maybe if you can check in by 2 or 3 and take a nap it might work out for you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food and drink for 20-something females' first night

Yes, I'm sure we will be feeling it ;) We arrive in the afternoon, so were thinking dinner and then something not too late.

Thanks for the tips!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food and drink for 20-something females' first night

Okay -- good to know, thanks!

We land around 1pm, so yes, will be feeling jet lagged, but want to still do something! Even if it's an early night.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food and drink for 20-something females' first night

When I was traveling at 20, I had such an adrenalin rush from the travel, I never suffered jetlag! I like your Oberkampf idea. Perhaps the Cafe Charbon. Its tredy, but also très authentic hole in the wall with a great come as you are vibe.

7. Re: food and drink for 20-something females' first night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:17