We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

Finland
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

We are going to stay for a week in Paris with our teenagers in June. They are eager to make some shopping on their own, so I got worried about the pickpocketing... The only cards they have are the Visa Electron. Anybody knowing if that is usually valid in Paris?

(Been there 2006, the normal Visa Credit was good everywhere, were quite amazed but happy then, did not need cash at all...)

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

I really am unfamiliar with the Electron. Is this some type of pre paid charge card? Usually the fees associated with pre paid charge cards make them a questionable choice but with the Visa association, they should at least be universally accepted.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

These are debit cards. I have seen a lot of gas/petrol stations with signs saying they don't accept them. I don't think they work on motorway tolls either. I have no idea if they are widely accepted in shops & restaurants.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

I'm not sure if yours would be accepted. Our debit cards used to be Visa Electron & weren't accepted in lots of other countries (Even using them online from home they wouldn't work on some sites) They've since changed to Visa Debit cards & are ok just about everywhere.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

Visa Electron is generally accepted for payments but never for 'guarantees' like for a Vélib or car rental.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

When making card purchases (either debit or credit) will I need to show my passport or would a colour photocopy be accepted?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

Very few stores in Paris require that you show ID to pay with a card and generally only low end places where people try to use other people's cards, generally ill-begotten. For example, the tabac closest to where I live has a sign saying that ID is required. I don't know if they really ask for it, because I have nothing to buy there.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

<When making card purchases (either debit or credit) will I need to show my passport or would a colour photocopy be accepted?>

Any shopkeeper who accepted a photocopy of a passport as ID for a card payment would be a fool. It would be trivially easy to forge it. You shouldn't need any sort of ID at all as long as the cards work with a PIN, as no doubt they do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

Hi Colin, I'm only asking because things may be different in France. I've never been before but have been to Spain many times where some department stores/shops need to see your passport others are fine with a colour photocopy. So generally I won't need to show ID if I pay with UK-issued card that has chip'n'pin? I prefer not to carry my passport with me when I'm out and about sightseeing. Thanks

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

Nicoleta, I have never been asked for ID for card payments, only if paying by check (and not always either).

tlk-fi, the Electron card will be accepted everywhere there is a salesperson, but some automated machines and websites reject them because their software is not programmed to contact your bank, which is automatic with Electron cards.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 18:39
Finland
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cards accepted - Visa Electron?

Thank you all for discussing, especially Mrs_French_Mystique and kerouac2 for the good news :)

Seems to be about the same as here in Finland, so I won't bothr to get any new cards for the kids. Our own ones are chip & pin debit/credit cards: I think we never tried the debit option in 2006 in Paris, maybe the machins didn't even notice the debit option then.

As already someone explained, the Visa Electron is good only if the direct contact with the home bank succeeds. Sometimes even in the hometown you have to leave your goods if the computer/ breadband/ alike doesn't work just the moment. Quite safe on kids if lost (and not any large amount of money on the account), but not so safe, if the infrastructure don't work...

Edited: 04 March 2014, 21:19