We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eiffel Tower via Stairs

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Eiffel Tower via Stairs

We checked the calendar and there are no times when we want to go up the tower (sunset/evening). Our family is fit and would like to hike up the stairs but we had a couple of questions...

1) Can we expect a long line to buy stairs access from the base?

2) If we hike up the stair to the second level do we pay a fee to take the elevator to the third level? Is the long line there to buy those tickets? Can we buy those tickets on the second level or is this purchased at the base? I am assuming if it is sold at the base it would be at the same place to buy stairs access?

3) Is the line from level 2 to level 3 typically very busy?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

Depending on season and weather, stairs access is a short line or not at all - you can buy tickets by stairs entrance.

You can buy elevator ticket from second floor to the top. You can expect line, but much shorter than at the base.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

Thank you. We will be there in just a couple of weeks.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

I am not fit and I have done.. it .. and remember you can take elevator done for free..and I recommend that because I found going down harder on legs.

We did in the summer,, after seeing lines that were hours long for elevators. Took about 20 minutes in line,, max..

Once we got to second level I sent my 13 yr old up to top ,, I couldn;t be bothered , I ve done it before and consider it overrated.. its crowded up there and I just don't like it. We waited probably another 20 minutes for a ticket for him to top and another 10 minutes for elevator.

Views are great from second level.. the haze makes the view from the top not that great anyways..

East Sussex UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

I was at the Eiffel Tower a couple of weeks ago, and although we bought elevator tickets to the top (3 small children and a grandmother in the party) and waited in line for over an hour to get them, I can testify that there was no queue at all at the ticket office for climbing the stairs. This was around 10 - 11am on a February Monday.

I, the grandmother, was not going to bother with going to the top either, but I was persuaded to join in, and I really enjoyed it. It was not very crowded at all, and as the space is smaller it is less of a strain keeping an eye on the children. It was a very relaxed 30 minutes or so, and the view was fabulous. Even the children enjoyed identifying the various landmarks we had already visited (I had a map with me), and we were lucky that the sun came out as we travelled upwards, and the city was bathed in sunshine, including Sacre Coeur glowing on the hill opposite, in the distance. Unforgettable.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

True enough,, but you can see all the same from the second level. If going in the winter or early spring i am sure lines and crowds are not nearly as bad as summer..

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

My 13 year and I took the stairs. We were there in off-season and the were 0 ppl in line or on the stairs -- the clerks and security folks actually chatted with us as they had nothing else to do.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

1) The stair line typically won't be too bad, and is always MUCH shorter than the elevator line.

2) There's a 5 euro fee (I think) to take the elevator from the 2nd level to the top, and the line was never more than 10 minutes during my trips up there. You buy tickets for the stairs to the 2nd level at the base, and then buy another ticket on the 2nd level to get to the top. I've not seen a line yet on the 2nd level.

Taking the stairs is my recommended way of doing the Eiffel tower. It's way shorter, more interesting, and cheaper to boot. Though I will say the view from Tour Montparnasse is actually WAAAAY better and never has a line. But of course everyone wants to say they went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, so hence why it's more popular.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 23:38
8. Re: Eiffel Tower via Stairs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:21