We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

HI all,

I'm surprising my partner for his 30th and taking him to Paris in June. I'm a little stuck at what time to book the Moulin Rouge show for,I can either go Saturday 14th or Sunday 15th. Could people please tell me which would be the best time and what evening. I'm wondering if Sunday would be best so I can maybe make a night of it on the Saturday and explore the parisian nightlife.

All advice welcome!

Thanks

1. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 04:05
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

There are so many incredibly wonderful things to do in Paris, I never fail to be amazed that people want to go all the way there to spend boatloads of money on a cheap Las Vegas-type tacky show. But to answer your question, it probably doesn't matter, as it's full of busloads of tourists every night.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

Thank you for your swift replies. although I think I may have confused you a little in my message, apologies. I meant I may avoid going on the saturday to make a night of if somewhere else. Seedy red light areas are certainly not my 'thing'.

I have had a huge headache regarding The Moulin Rouge. I know it is a tourist trap and incredibly over priced however I feel its a 'when in Rome' situation. I feel I cant possible go to Paris and not see it!

Maybe you could help mw with another dilemma... Stay in Le Marais or Latin Quarter.

Thank You.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

I've been to Paris many times and have never felt compelled to go to a show at the Moulin Rouge.Just because other tourists go there, doesn't mean that you have to too - especially if you're not crazy about the idea anyway. As mentioned above there many other options for a night out in Paris.

I think either the Latin Quarter or Marais would be fine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

"When in Rome"...suggests that Romans do it.

Parisians don't go to the Moulin Rouge.

Really.

Newark-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

I think everyone should try the Moulin Rouge at least once. I can't believe anyone has been more than once and I'm not sure taking your man for his 30th is a particularly good idea. Many people find the show "tacky" but I think that's unfair. It is a Paris institution and it is very expensive. It also has a lot of nice girls on display. If you do decide to go don't waste your money on dinner, just go for the show.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

I'm not going for dinner, just the show. It really hard asking advice on The Moulin Rouge as all people like to do is tell you how tacky/rubbish/ cheap it is. Ive made my mind up to go I was hoping that someone could advise me on either the 9pm or 11pm show.

You say there is other Parisian nightlife to sample, could you give me some tips on this please.

Thanks for the other constructive advice re where to stay.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

The Moulin Rouge isn't "Parisian," it's "tourist." Go, if you want, but don't ever think you/'ve done something "Parisian." You/'ve just done some overpriced tourist thing. I can think of a thousand things I'd rather spend my money on in Paris.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

"It really hard asking advice on The Moulin Rouge as all people like to do is tell you how tacky/rubbish/ cheap it is."

There may be a good reason why this is. If your aim is tacky/rubbish/cheap...by all means. Enjoy!

Edited: 03 March 2014, 18:56
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moulin Rouge-Best time and evening to go please.

Did you read post #1? Tesa provided some alternatives.

It's your trip, so if you want to go to the MR we're not going to stop you. we just think that there are better things to spend your time and money on in Paris, than being herded with busloads of tourists into a tourist-centered show. I'm not a late-night person, so if I had to choose a time it would be 9:00. Perhaps you can find more info by reading the reviews on TA.