We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dare I ask....but what to wear?

I have read vastly different accounts of 'what to wear and not look like a tourist' and it's been 20 years since I have been to Paris. My ideal is jeans, nice shirt and my primarily black (with a few purple highlights) tennis shoe for day site seeing. Some Paris sites say jeans and tennis shoes are worn by the locals, yet my friend is sending other info that says it would scream tourist and be a big faux pas.

My friend and I are leaving in a couple of weeks, so if anyone has been recently I would love to hear what you have to say!

Merci!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Do ask! The fun is in all the replies.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Tennis shoes?

Run for cover.......

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Sounds fine to me, but I never spend a second worrying about these things.I buy most of my clothes and shoes in Paris, and I grew up speaking French, so I have zero worries about looking or sounding like a tourist. Sounds like your friends are paranoid. You got a good plan -go with it.and buy a few things in Paris. I am more out of place wearing my Paris clothes here in DC than you will be wearing American stuff in Paris.

Also, Parisians for the most part aren't the fashionistas people say they are.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Exactly what St. Cirq said.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

To put it bluntly, the Parisians don't care about the clothes tourists wear. Let your friend wear what she want. Even if both of you bought clothes in Paris you WILL look like a tourist, trust me..it is all in the body language.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

I lived in and around Paris for about 8 years and I wore whatever I felt like! Who cares if they know you're tourists, anyways as soon as you say one word they will know :)

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Thanks everyone...feel better :-) Curious, for those of you who have lived in/around Paris, how did you like living there? Just another big city, or something special?

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

PS...think friend worrying about being targeted for mugging or theft

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Paris is special.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dare I ask....but what to wear?

Just don't wear white tennis shoes unless they're Keds or something because they look like boats.

Wear what you want - comfort should be your number one concern. I always wear a trusty pair of ballet flats, black or white Converse, and a comfy pair of wedge sandals.