We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston Springs...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

Visiting Paris is 3rd week in May, 2014 with my sister. Checked a month ago and plenty tickets were available. Looked this morning and all tickets for May 2014 are booked except for 2 single tickets at separate times Very curious, tickets for April and June still available. Anyone have any idea why May would be all booked? This is my first and only time in Paris, and would hate to miss out on going up in this iconic landmark.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

No, it isnt sold out, the advance tickets are all sold. These make up about 10% of the available tickets. So it's 90% not sold out.

May is busy because of the school holidays, the public holiday is in May (May 1), and plenty of other days off work for most people besides that.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,847 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

As Wiz said.. only the advance time slot tickets are gone, you can certainly still go up by getting in a line anytime you wish. I would just time my visit to assume you will be waiting.. an hour at least .. Or go first thing before it opens. but of course there will be others there too. .and you will still have to wait for it to open..

OR.. you can take the stairs. The line for the stairs in on a different "foot" then the line for the elevators. The "Sud Pilar" and the lines are of course always shorter then the elevator lines. The climb goes to the first and second levels only.. when you reach the second level you can get in a line to purchase a ticket to the top if you wish ( certainly not necesary for a good view as view from 2nd level is great) .. and the line for the summit tickets from the second level is usually not as long as the elevator line on the ground.

The walk up is not too bad.. I did it and I am not very fit. You can go slowly if you wish as stairs are wide enough to let people pass you ( unlike say the stairs up Notre Dame) .

There is also a skip the line tour called the "Behind the Scenes Tour" which does include a trip up elevator and is apparently very interesting. I have never taken it.. but as I said, it has been well reviewed. You can purchase tickets for that on the offical website.

Now.. for the " we told you so"( although perhaps not you personally)..lol.. part of my post.. and to others who may be reading and not purchased tickets yet.

If you go on the website and see tickets available purchase them immediatlly. They do go fast.. they only sell a very limited amount for each time slot. Also.. check if any tickets slots are left for "tickets to second level" there are often a few tickets left there longer then "tickets to summit" and as I said.. you can still go to summit from second level.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

Did check for tickets to the 2nd level? Sometimes these are still available when the others are sold out. You can get a ticket to the summit on the 2nd level.

Kingston Springs...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

Thanks so much, this was very helpful. We planned on taking the stairs to the second level, and the elevator from there, but I did not realize the line for stairs was different from the elevator lines, and shorter, perfect! Since online tickets are sold out we were changing our plans to go first thing in the morning for shorter lines, rather than in the evening as we wished, but with this knowledge we may go by one evening too and take the stairs.

I was informed on purchasing tickets early, and have been watching the May tickets for 3+ months now, but it was like one day they were they were all open and the next day they were ALL booked. Even high season tickets are still available, something must be going on that I have missed. Thanks again!

Kingston Springs...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

Thanks Wiz, I did realize there were still tickets available, but I had no idea that they sell such a small amount of them online. This is very good news indeed.

6. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 22:35
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

draftbeer, Here's the section on the ET from your linked blog. Can you show me where the author said that it wasn't worth it? Perhaps he was not educated about the alternatives for visiting without waiting in long lines?

<<The Eiffel Tower is the very first Parisian monument I ever laid eyes on and it is my favourite landmark in the world so far. I love the Eiffel tower so much I would spend several hours a day just to marvel at its beauty. But I didn’t think it was necessary to climb it. The Eiffel Tower (in my humble opinion) is best viewed from afar. Besides, there’s an insanely long queue on all 4 entrances (pilier sud, ouest, est and nord – which means south, west, east and north pillars). You will definitely spend hours just queuing. There are many ways you can spend those hours exploring the other corners of Paris instead.

If you want a good view of the Paris skyline, you can actually head up to Basilique Sacré Cœur (Basilica of the Sacred Heart) which sits on top of Montmartre. Bring a bottle of cheap wine and a piece of baguette, find a good spot, sit back and watch the sun set over Paris. That’s exactly what I did! Beats queuing at the Eiffel Tower!>>

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,847 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

draftbeer.. remember a persons blog is simply his own personal experience or feelings.. could be different for next person.. plus be careful of accepting everything said in blogs as facts. The blogger here says there were huge line ups as each tower foot.. all FOUR entrances he said.. really?? I have never seen ( public) entrances at all four legs. lol

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

I wouldn't book tickets ahead of time anyway. Not every day has optimum visibility, and I would certainly wait for one of those days if my purpose was to admire the view (and it would be).

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eiffel Tower sold out for May 2014

I am planning to make reservations for Jules Verne (night of first full day) and for the 3rd level (last night) on different evenings at 8:00 to time 8:35 ish sundown. I also intend to have an evening in Montmarte at sundown (which can be a little flexible as I don't need tickets. On arrival day, I want to do a Siene cruise at 8:00 to catch the buildings at twilight.

Thoughts?