We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Place de la Republique

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Place de la Republique

Can anyone recommend a four star in this vicinity. I am arriving at Gare du Nord and will be attending a funeral at Pere la Chaise. Looking at the map I thought Republique is mid way. I could be wrong though so welcome any correction too.

Thank you.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

majidi - That's probably a good choice. Pere Lachaise is a direct Metro ride from Republique (Ligne 3), which will take about 15 mins.

The Crowne Plaza Paris Republique is right on the square, and is a good choice.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
334 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

Sorry to hear that a funeral is bringing you to Paris: I hope that you get some time outside of the funeral to unwind while you're there. FWIW we're heading to Paris in a couple of weeks (our second visit) and after reviewing the advantages & disadvantages of staying in the various arrondissements, we decided upon the Crown Plaza Republique. We think that because it's next to a hub for five metro lines it should be easy to get anywhere we want to go, plus the city just completed a major renovation of the Place de la Republique that created a huge pedestrian open space. Best of luck.

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

Thank you Bob and Patty too.

I seem to recall from previous visits that Place de la Republique is somewhere the traffic just thunders past. Do you think the hotel rooms may be unbearably noisy?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
334 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

I believe (but won't experience it firsthand for another two weeks) that the completed redesign of the Place de la Republique was designed to greatly reduce the volume of traffic by eliminating the ability of cars to completely circle the Place. This was one of the reasons we chose the Crown Plaza, since we don't care to be in a super heavy traffic area either. Before the redesign it was 2/3 traffic and 1/3 pedestrian, now it's 2/3 pedestrian and 1/3 traffic. You can Google it and get more info, but here's a link that might help give you a picture of the redesign:

metalocus.es/content/en/blog/largest-pedestr…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

Bob's got it right - things are much calmer, traffic-wise. You could ask for a room on the inner courtyard, which is quiet. I was at a wedding reception in this hotel last December, and it was fine.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

What about the noise from the metro line itself? When we stayed in a hotel on the Place, the breakfast room was on a floor below reception and the walls shook whenever a train went by.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,082 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

Room on higher floor and facing courtyard should be quieter, but I do recall people complaining re noise in the past.

Perhaps contact some of the recent reviewers and ask about noise.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

Pamjo - if you were in the basement, it's certainly possible that you could hear or feel the Metro running through the station. However, the hotel rooms are above ground, beginning one flight up, so that should not be a problem. Don't know which hotel you stayed in, but the Crowne Plaza is a big hotel, with most of the rooms in the rear.

kerouac2 did a photo report, shortly after the Place de la Republique renovations were completed. You could have a look for yourself - it's a pedestrian's paradise, nowadays.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

Thanks pattyinparis. I was simply making a comment about the noise during breakfast. Our actual hotel room was fine. Some hotels with below-ground space tend to use this area as a breakfast room.

It was Hotel Paix Republique.....but it was a few years ago now.

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Place de la Republique

Patty, I am about to book the Crown Plaza Republique but wonder if I could trouble you to ask if there are any eateries close by? Nothing fancy...maybe just a place to get a Croque Monsieur with frites maybe. Someone else has remarked that the hotel restaurant prices are "a joke" and we don't really want to go too far from the hotel for food.

BTW...much enjoyed your Passy cemetery report. I was staying in Passy last year and had a peek inside it.

Well done. Regards.