We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

Be kind :) but please provide suggestions on any changes you think would make this itinerary more efficient!

Hubby, 2yo dd and I will be visiting July 20-26. We'll be staying on Rue des lyonnais in the 5th, and I plan for us to walk or take the bus whenever possible. I'd like to stay above-ground for as much as possible so as to really SEE the city instead of the Metro. (Although I am sure the Metro will be required at some points, which is fine.)

We will start each morning off having breakfast at our apartment. I've planned it so that dd can take her usual 45-90 mins nap after lunch in her stroller. And I plan to pack as many snacks to keep us and dd content!

Day 0 (Sun, Jul 20)

- Arrive in the PM, Check in to apartment after 2:30pm

- Freshen up and settle in (about 30-60 mins)

- Walk to nearest Monoprix (on Av de Gobelins) for some grocery

- Wander the Latin Quarter

- Have dinner out

Day 1 (Mon, Jul 21)

- Spend a couple of hours at the Museum of Natural History (arrive at opening time - does anyone know what time they open? Cannot find it on their website)

- Visit the Pantheon (go inside), approx 1-1.5 hrs

- Picnic lunch in the Luxembourg Gardens, let dd burn off some steam and energy before her nap

- Visit Saint Chapelle, approx 1 hr

- Conciergerie, approx 2 hrs

- Dinner (suggestions for somewhere between here and the apartment? Or we will just eat when we get "home")

Day 2 (Tues, Jul 22)

- Get to Versailles first thing in the morning via RER, explore gardens, Hamlet and the Chateau (only from outside)

- Picnic lunch in the park/gardens at Versailles while dd runs around

- Take RER back to Paris (dd should nap)

- get off at Trocadero for photo opps of Eiffel Tower

- Visit Eiffel Tower (not going up)

- Wander to Invalides, check out the district and have dinner there

- Ascend Tour Montparnasse for sunset views of Paris (yes I've decided to go up this tower as I want the Eiffel to be IN my panoramic photos of the city instead of take the photo from the top of the Eiffel and miss having the icon in my panoramics!)

Day 3 (Wed, July 23)

- Self-guided walking tour of Ile de la Cite, approx 1.5-2 hrs

- Visit Notre Dame, approx 1-1.5 hrs

- Lunch (need suggestions please, keep it cheap!)

- Louvre (while dd sleeps!), approx 2-3 hrs (we aren't huge into the arts; plan to see the main things, Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, etc.; I am also aware of the long security lines and benefit of purchasing tickets in advance.)

- Walk by the Champs Elysees, maybe pop into Galleries LaFayette (if we feel like it by the time we get there) - MUST get macarons from Laduree! (not necessarily from this location but anywhere in Paris!)

- Check out the Arc de Triomphe (not going up it)

- Dinner out (suggestions? keep it cheap!)

Day 4 (Thurs, Jul 24)

- Full day out at Disneyland Paris

Day 5 (Fri, Jul 25)

- Visit Sacre Coeur (approx 1 hr)

- Wander Montmartre (anything in particular we should see here? Not really interested in Moulin Rouge - sorry!)

- Lunch in Montmartre (suggestions? keep it cheap!)

- Find a park or playground for dd to run around before nap

- Visit Musee d'Orsay (approx 2-3 hrs; same caveat as with Louvre - not huge into arts but want to at least see the popular pieces!)

- Dinner (in or out will depend on how much food is left at the apartment to finish instead of waste!)

Day 6 (Sat, Jul 26)

- Check out by 9:30am

- Fly home :(

Mentioned in this post
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,782 Reviews
Paris, France
Pantheon
Pantheon
3,603 Reviews
Paris, France
Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Gardens
30,679 Reviews
Paris, France
Conciergerie
Conciergerie
1,730 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Trocadero
Trocadero
5,436 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,454 Reviews
Paris, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,097 Reviews
Paris, France
Ile de la Cite
Ile de la Cite
4,973 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Milo
Milo
101 Reviews
Paris, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,329 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Paris Lafayette
Hotel Paris Lafayette
479 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,474 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,740 Reviews
Paris, France
Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge
11,313 Reviews
Paris, France
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
56,098 Reviews
Paris, France
Marche Ou Crepe
£, French, Bar, Cafe
Les Apotres de Pigalle
££ - £££, South American, Brew Pub, European
Restaurant Mumi
££££, French, European
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

I should add that I'm not thrilled with Day 3....something seems a bit off...just can't figure out what.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

For

- Lunch (need suggestions please, keep it cheap!)

You could have an omelet or onion soup here ---> http://www.larosedefrance.com/ right at the Place Dauphone on the Ile de la Cite.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Ile de la Cite
Ile de la Cite
4,973 Reviews
Paris, France
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

Monoprix will not be open on Sunday, so you may want to locate a convenience store.

If you'll definitely visit both the Conciergerie and Sainte-Chapelle, there's a combo pass with priority access to Sainte-Chapelle after visiting Conciergerie.

Recommend limited walking ahead of your visit to the Louvre. You know your stamina, if you walk all over Isle de la Cite and through Notre Dame ahead of arriving at the Louvre, which is gigantic, you may not have the energy or enthusiasm to explore much of it.

Mentioned in this post
Conciergerie
Conciergerie
1,730 Reviews
Paris, France
Sainte-Chapelle
Sainte-Chapelle
21,258 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

Just as a general comment: I don't think you're going to be able to keep to this itinerary with a 2 yr-old. I would just say to be prepared to jettison the whole thing and wing it with a general idea of what you want to do and then go with the flow.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,773 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

Please look at Paris Plage.. its would be a great time out for your tot.. fake beach set up along bank of Seine.. sand.. sand toys for tots, ,water sprinkler play areas for tots.. and concession. Pick up a sandwich from a bakery and have a nice picnic lunch down there.. child can play ,you can relaxi.. And its nice to wander in there in the evening,, street musicians.. many local families having picnics.. a fun family atmosphere. Lo key.

The concierge and St Chapelle are not huge sites. ( ST Chapelle is tiny) so you have been more then generous with time.

I think Day 3 is ok,, but I would skip Champs myself..I would exit the Louvre and visit the Tuilleires gardens right next door and let tot play in the playground there !

Edited: 07 March 2014, 17:23
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

Most grocery stores, if open, close by 1:00 on Sunday. Most neighborhoods have a very small, and very expensive little shop where you will be able to get essentials. I would plan to visit to Monoprix sometime on Monday.

Otherwise I agree with HappyGoin. It's great to have a plan (or wish list), but you have to be willing to understand that you need to flexible and that these things will still be there for you to visit in the future.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

As to the Louvre, it's more than an art gallery. You expressed a wish to see the interior of the palace at Versailles - well, this is your chance to see an amazing Palace. Personally, I like the Louvre better than Versailles. The Napoleon III apartments are pretty amazing - but even more than that, the painted ceilings, the amazing architectural details - and if you want some gilded rooms, see the Galerie Apollon (which, by the way, it is not too far from Mona Lisa, although the easiest way to get to it involves some sets of stairs - but you can definitely figure out the elevators).

For reference, in the room immediately behind Mona Lisa (one of my favorite rooms in the Louvre - love just sitting there and looking up at everything), there's an elevator (K, I think it is). Do see Galerie Apollon. There are gorgeous, painted rooms all over the Louvre, and wonderful views out its windows, too. It's really not just art - although, if you really start looking at the art, you realize things about it that you probably never thought about before. All those people really wanted to be remembered - as they are shown - and there they are! It makes a person think about what, exactly, our own world is leaving for the world....

But think about the Napoleon III apartments (where there some pieces from Napoleon I, too) and Galerie Apollon.

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Hotel Napoleon Paris
Hotel Napoleon Paris
409 Reviews
Paris, France
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

Thank you all for the advice. I heed it in regards to being flexible considering we are travelling with a 2yo, but lucky for us, she's very adaptable and we've traveled with her enough that we pretty much know what she can handle and how much we can do (or not do). Any of my travel itineraries are never set in stone as sometimes I find when we arrive at our destination, we lost interest in "planned sites" and fine new ones to visit instead.

DJKBOOKS: thanks for the warning about tired feet! I've moved some things around so we have a lighter morning ahead of the Louvre.

JOAN1: I've taken both your suggestions for Jardin des Tuilleires and Paris Plage! I've kept the Champs Elysees as it's on my bucket list :)

Please take a look at the adjusted draft below...I've had to make concessions for not being able to grab grocery on Sunday and having to make it priority on Monday. Have moved Pantheon to Sunday evening (have to double check hours of operation) and Monoprix to Monday morning. I also forgot to include the Seine River Cruise I want to do at sunset or after-dark on our final day.

Day 0 (Sun, Jul 20)

- Arrive in the PM, Check in to apartment after 2:30pm

- Freshen up and settle in (about 30-60 mins)

- Wander the Latin Quarter, our “home” district

- Visit the Pantheon (go inside), approx 1-1.5 hrs

- Dinner (out)

Day 1 (Mon, Jul 21)

- Walk to nearest Monoprix for some grocery (about 6-8 mins on foot), return grocery to apartment and pack lunches.

- Spend a couple of hours at the Museum of Natural History

- Picnic lunch in the Luxembourg Gardens, let Alyssa burn off some steam and energy before her nap

- Visit Saint Chapelle, approx 1 hr*

- Conciergerie, approx 2 hrs*

- Self-guided walking tour of Ile de la Cite, approx 1.5-2 hrs

- Dinner

*according to TA forum, I’ve been generous with the timing of these; they’ll likely take less time than I have planned.

Day 2 (Tues, Jul 22)

- Get to Versailles first thing in the morning via RER, explore gardens, Hamlet and the Chateau (only from outside)

- Picnic lunch in the park/gardens at Versailles while Alyssa runs around

- Take RER back to Paris (Alyssa should nap)

- get off at Trocadero station for photo opps of Eiffel Tower

- Visit Eiffel Tower (not going up)

- Wander to Invalides, check out the district and have dinner there

- Ascend Tour Montparnasse for sunset views of Paris (yes I've decided to go up this tower as I want the Eiffel to be IN my panoramic photos of the city instead of take the photo from the top of the Eiffel and miss having the icon in my panoramas!)

Day 3 (Wed, July 23)

- Check out Paris Plage and grab a sandwich for lunch

- Jardin des Tuilleires for Alyssa to play (and feed the ducks!) before nap time

- Louvre (while Alyssa sleeps!), approx 2-3 hrs

- Walk by the Champs Elysees, maybe pop into Galleries LaFayette (if we feel like it by the time we get there) - MUST get macarons from Laduree! (not necessarily from this location but anywhere in Paris!)

- Check out the Arc de Triomphe (not going up it)

- Dinner out

Day 4 (Thurs, Jul 24)

- Full day out at Disneyland Paris

Day 5 (Fri, Jul 25)

- Visit Sacre Coeur (approx 1 hr)

- Wander Montmartre (Moulin Rouge is here…not sure if you want to see that from the outside…can’t really take Alyssa to a cabaret show lol. I don’t really care one way or the other.)

- Lunch in Montmartre

- Find a park or playground for Alyssa to run around before nap

- Visit Musee d'Orsay (approx 2-3 hrs; same caveat as with Louvre - not huge into arts but want to at least see the popular pieces!)

- Dinner (in or out will depend on how much food is left at the apartment to finish instead of waste!)

- Seine River Cruise at sunset

Day 6 (Sat, Jul 26)

- Check out by 9:30am

- Fly home :(

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris Plage
Paris Plage
197 Reviews
Paris, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,329 Reviews
Paris, France
Pantheon
Pantheon
3,603 Reviews
Paris, France
Seine River
Seine River
23,988 Reviews
Paris, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,782 Reviews
Paris, France
Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Gardens
30,679 Reviews
Paris, France
Conciergerie
Conciergerie
1,730 Reviews
Paris, France
Ile de la Cite
Ile de la Cite
4,973 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Trocadero
Trocadero
5,436 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,454 Reviews
Paris, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,097 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Paris Lafayette
Hotel Paris Lafayette
479 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,474 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,740 Reviews
Paris, France
Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge
11,313 Reviews
Paris, France
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
56,098 Reviews
Paris, France
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

LeBiscuit! I'd love to take your suggestions but HOW ON EARTH do I work this into my itinerary? Maybe I'll just allot more time to the Louvre? 5 hours? then dinner and the Champs and Arc?

Edited: 07 March 2014, 18:03
Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary - second draft! Thoughts please...

When you're coming back from Versailles it is Champ de Mars/ Tour Eiffel stop on RER C line. Once you get to ground level you will see ET very close.

Trocadero Square ( golden statuets on sides) is up and across the river from ET - it gives proper distance to admire the view; and gosh - the view it is - the best !

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Trocadero
Trocadero
5,436 Reviews
Paris, France