We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Paris and Normandy

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in Paris and Normandy

We will be in Paris between Mar 22 and April 1, and then in the Normandy area April 1 through April 5. We would like to be mindful of the culture and the weather. What are your recommendations to wear for site seeing and then dinners (evening meal). Thank you for your advice. Looking forward to our holiday there.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
571 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

Paris is not formal, although looking nice is always preferred (but then, that's the rule-of-thumb in Junction, too, isn't it?) There really aren't any rules-- you'll see just about anything on others in the city.

Normandy is the countryside -- so even less formal.

Being dressed appropriately for the weather is a far more important issue -- being wet and cold can ruin your day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,926 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

especially this time of year, Parisians and the French in general wear dark colors -- men are not wearing Khakis, women are not wearing the kinds of brightly colored clothing common in texas. Other than that, dress for the weather which is likely to be cold and rainy -- so layers and a raincoat are good basic plans. And have water resistant walking shoes and at least two pair so you can switch off as each pair dries.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

I agree with the others. There are always posts about not looking like a tourist. That might work until you open your mouth. Unless you speak fluent French, they will know straight away. Go with what suits you and you are comfortable with and what is appropriate for the weather at the time. So what if you are identified as a tourist. That is what you are. Especially at this time when it is cold, it is hard to offend. You will have a lovely time.

Bon voyage.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

Here is the traditional Norman attire: blaudes-et-coeffes.com/img/…trad_couple2.jpg

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

Love those white socks. Thanks for the giggle k2.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies. We will do our best to not look too touristy and to enjoy ourselves. Sincerely, we appreciate your guidance.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

"Unless you speak fluent French, they will know straight away"

I speak fluent French, being originally from France. However I have been living in North-America for many years, seldom hear French in the street and seldom speak it (I don't associate with French people in my home town), so French people know at once that I do not live in France...and compliment me for my fluency..

Edited: 08 March 2014, 21:51
8. Re: What to wear in Paris and Normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:19