We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

Fort Myers, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

At first everyone said not to look like a tourist and not wear jeans. But there is a giveaway while looking at and up at bldgs, etc. they we will be tourists! Anyway I would think that even locals wear jeans and casual clothes. Sure they also work and have work attire any most people do dress better then jeans for dinner. Any advice?

The Green Way
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours
1 Visit 4 You
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Original Food Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Driver-Guide-France
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. If you're not comfortable then you won't enjoy your trip as much. Enjoy your visit!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
2,316 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

That has always worked for me, except in really hot climates. (re black turtleneck and black pants)

Edited: 09 March 2014, 19:56
23. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 01:35
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

Nor you. I was particularly disinterested in your description of your personal over-the-top collection.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:30
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

"Its not about jeans; its about taste and style. Throw on a scarf and maybe a simple necklace - tres chic!"

Exactly! I'm from Los Angeles and we live in jeans, sandals and t-shirts all year long. No such thing as winter clothes here except for ocassional rain boots.

While visiting Paris is a vacation, it's a different type of vacation and it's best for people to be prepared. As a fashion forward thinking person, who's hip and follows fashion closely - my idea of comfort and style would certainly be different than someone who doesn't either have any or does not care. And it's still about individual style because there is such a think as Eruo-chic which borders on being tacky. LOL!

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:41
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

Not disinterested enough to comment. But what is personal and over the top to you is perfectly the norm where I come from.

Denim comes in various colors, textures, lengths and cuts.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:46
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
316 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

Personally, I rarely wear jeans. I prefer skirts and dresses, occasionally legging or slacks. I guess I just "feel" better when I dress nicely. Looking at the pics posted on an early reply, I'm likely going to be over-dressed, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dress differently as to "fit in" when I visit next month. I say , dress in what makes you feel good, like yourself. If you like jeans with holes and Nike T-shirt, than so be it ! More important ...learn some basic French : ). I hear the locals respond to you better if you at least greet them in French.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

"I wouldn't be caught dead in designer jeans. They are a total contradiction of the whole reason that jeans exist."

Levi Strauss invented the denim work pant to outfit the Califiornia gold seekers. Known as "Can't bust 'ems." His company is alive and strong and raking in profits from denim jeans of all persuasions, styles and colors.

Think about it. In 1849, his pants were pretty outre, downright designer when you come to think about it. ;)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

I used to work right next to Levi when I lived in the City. And a good friend still works for them - and she isn't mining for gold.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Wearing jeans and comfortable clothes in Paris

"Personally, I rarely wear jeans. I prefer skirts and dresses, occasionally legging or slacks. I guess I just "feel" better when I dress nicely."

Yep, this is why I have so many jeans. I have some jeans that feel as soft as a jersey knit sweater.