We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

A friend just sent this to me:

http://tinyurl.com/o5kvp9a

I think it may be a good way to expand awareness and maybe actually deliver a message to city govt.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

Fwiw, I've signed it. Thanks, MM

I dearly hope it catches on....

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

K2, T-shirts are often employed as part of a campaign. Whether or not there is a mercantile aspect, trademarking a slogan or catchphrase is SOP when opposition to your cause may co-opt your position and use it against you. I'm a lot less suspicious than you because change dot org has been such an effective tool on so many other efforts I've been involved in. As you know K2, we've been actively working on the love lock issue for more than 4 years. We've removed 79 kilos of locks to attract questions from the perps as we passed out informational flyers, researched the legalities of removing locks, how to remove them, the damage to the bridges from deferred maintenance, the local politics, and we've written comments and letters to dozens of websites who mindlessly promote this stupid "tradition".

You could be a little more supportive K2. Your post could only dampen any enthusiasm for the petition. Anything's worth a go at this point so maybe you could spread the word a little instead of throwing cold water on the effort.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 14:18
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,767 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

Not only signed but sent a load of coal to Newcastle. 8-)

Pjk

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

I've signed, also tweeted and shared on Facebook.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

This is a positive first step. It has to start from somewhere. I signed it and thank you MM for posting it here.

Can you "like" this on Facebook? If not, if anyone has a Facebook account, they can copy and paste the link onto their home page. I will.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

I'd love to believe it would have an impact (provided it can raise the compulsory missing 9899 signatories) but I can't see any of the candidates in the forthcoming elections actually acting against this. Metromole's (and others') on-the-ground actions is probably the only effective way to go for now.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

It has passed the 100 mark now.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

Signed. It has to be a start.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

We can bump this post periodically if it drops to page 2.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Love-Locks Concern is Apparently Growing

Signed. Would like to see the lock vendors pay a huge concession price to sell on the bridge (and be licenced) and anyone who puts a lock on must pay a huge price for the privilege and know that it will be removed in 12 months time. If they can afford to go to Paris, they can afford to pay for the privilege of defacing public property. It's no where near as romantic to fork out funds and preplan it.

The funds raised could pay 'bridge guardians' who could do the security , money collection etc.

This last visit left me feeling so anti. The visit before it was just a few but one of the bridges had locks attached to locks at least 5 thick in places.