We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

After obsessing over hotels close to the Louvre & Notre Dame, I am looking at the following and would appreciate feedback for 6 nights in May for twin bed room.

Hotel Louvre Sainte Anne 32 rue Sainte-Anne #1 185 E

Hotel Sevres St Germain 22 rue st placide #6 E228

Hotel des marronniers 21 rue Jacob #6 205E

Would you consider either of these two worth splurging or would we really not be getting anything extra special for 50 - 70 euros more per night?

Hotel Fleurie 32 rue Gregoire-de-tours #6 259 E

Le Bellechasse St Germain 8 rue de Bellechasse #7 E282

We really like Sainte Anne but worry about the lift going out and walking up 4 flights The other hotels are on the other side so it would be different atmosphere and all look appealing. We enjoy relaxing in our room as well as convenient location. Thanks for your help and patience

1. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 14:05
australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

I was finding it hard to settle on a Hotel so decided to get a 1 bedroom apartment for my daughter and I. I am happy now and am looking forward to our 4 night stay.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

joan1--You replied to an OP asking for hotel advice with a lecture about your travel preference and budgeting. Quite helpful. I can't offer help because I don't know the hotels. Why you posted a response is beyond me. Oh, I know! You want the world to know you travel a lot. So do others. Some travelers think good hotels matter--even in Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

I have a soft spot for Les Marronniers, and often send friends and family there. It's a pleasant hotel in a good location.

I wouldn't worry too much about the elevator at Ste Anne, but if you would have problems dealing with that many flights of stairs, you might be wise to choose a room on a lower floor - no matter which hotel you choose.

As far as the "splurges" - La Fleurie could use a freshing-up, especially the plumbing - and I'm not sure it qualifies for a "splurge" category. Le Bellechasse was recently re-done, in "boutique-design-hotel" style. It looks like many of the rooms - possibly all of them - have only a curtain or small partition separating the bathroom from the bedroom. If you don't mind that, and like the decor, I think it would be worth the extra money, if you want to spend it.

The locations are not that far apart, so that wouldn't be my main concern.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

I like the location of the des Marronniers much better than the Ste Anne, so I would pay the extra for that location. In that general area, check the prices at the recently refurbished Hotel de Seine as well.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

Of these hotels, the Marronniers is the only one in a great book about Paris hotels by www.taschen.com ("Paris and more", but possibly out of print) . I have thought a lot about that hotel but in the end chose the pricier but very famous www.l-hotel.com as I can have an hour in the private pool all to myself and it's rooms are stunning. I too find a memorable hotel adding a lot to my Paris experience, especially since Paris has the most beautiful hotels in the world. I spend another night in a balneo /jacuzzi room of www.Apostrophe-hotel.com for 200 euro (very close to a RER station from the airport) .

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,589 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

We also stay at a hotel on the rue Jacab and have always loved the location. And we could upgrade to a larger room but have never thought it necessary. 70 euros will buy a decent dinner for two and a great lunch.

Pjk

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

Another recommendation for a hotel on rue Jacob--love that street. It's a great area close to many sights and activities but still quiet at night. Also so close to the river for strolling. Hotel du Danube is also in that same area and has been on my list for a while, though I have not stayed there--with two kids, we now stay in apartments.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

thank you for the great responses. It looks like the poster who thought I was dumb for spending money on a nicer hotel was removed. I do know people who spend all their time out and about, so I do understand that point of view. Different strokes for different folks.

pjk - I was looking at the Millesime would would be in the "splurge' category for us (it is 55 euros per night more that Marronniers) - which can be a good meal out.

Marronniers Hotel is looking good although mcal3kLA -your suggestion of Hotel de Seine in the same area is great too. I'm going to sleep now (worked night shift) and let everything percolate, and then make a decision and send a few emails! Thanks again, since I know the "what hotel and where" question can get tiring :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,589 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 hotels - which would you pick, and would you splurge?

Yes. That money would buy a nice dinner at au 35, 35 rue Jacob.

Pjk