We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parisian croissants made on the premises

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Parisian croissants made on the premises

I am going to Paris for the first time in late April and been looking forward to eating croissants and other tasty treats. Want to know if the bakeries still make their croissants the traditional way in their own shops? I have only tasted "freshly baked" croissants from pre-made frozen dough in the states and apparently some of the supermarket bakeries in Paris are doing the same.

Will be staying in the 5th arr. near the Seine River. Any must visit bakeries/patisserie?

Thank you for your input.

1. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:09
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

This website has a good list (by neighborhood) of excellent bakeries and pastry shops: www.parisbymouth.com.

If you have a very discriminating palette, you will notice a difference in the croissants made from scratch, by hand, sold in the very few places in Paris that still make them this way. Since it is time and labor intensive, there are not many of them, though.

Most croissants and breads sold in Paris are light years better than what you are used to eating - the exception would be the stuff sold in supermarkets, which even my dog won't eat. I would not buy pastries or bread from a supermarket in Paris, when bakeries and pastry shops are virtually on every other corner. It is absolutely worth your time to buy croissants fresh every day, and eat them as soon as possible. Pastries and most breads in Paris just don't keep, since most of them have no preservatives - but mostly because they get eaten so quickly!.

Most artisan bakers in Paris make croissants from frozen dough. It's a lot different from what is sold in the US, given the difference in flour, butter, water - and some of it is higher quality than others - but it's all very, very good. They shape each croissant and bake several batches per day. There are usually two types of croissants available - "beurre" or "ordinaire" - the first is made with all butter, the second with vegetable shortening. You can probably guess which one you would prefer.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

How about learning to make them yourself?

Here's a link to a great fun place where you can learn how to make them.

http://www.patisseriealacarte.com/indexus.cfm

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

Actually, the expression for made-on-site croissants (and all other bread products) is "artisan boulanger". Only the ones malking their dough on site can use this name, as well as the official logo to look for:

…logoenvue.fr/images/logo-artisan-boulanger.…

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

Artisan Boulanger means that the products are made on site but that does not necessarily indicate that they are inherently better or tastier than what another boulangerie might sell. At least one or two boulaneries near me make their own baguette but they do not display the Artisan Boulanger sign.

Many people like Eric Kayser. Their pastries are wonderful but I don´t necessarily find their croissants or baguettes better than those of other boulangeries near me.

I had an interesting conversation with our guardian (building supervisor) the other day. There is a certain nearby boulangerie that sells baguettes which are about 1 meter long but these baguettes are as skinny as bread sticks. I had never seen baguette sold like these before (they are not ficelles) but he said that many in the neighborhood prefer this kind of baguette. We joked about the number of sandwiches one could possibly make from a single baguettes; a lot of sandwiches but awfully skinny ones.

What makes an excellent baguette or croissant has a lot to do with personal preference.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

The only croissant I have trouble eating is the one on the plane, that comes in a 'steamer' package, lol. eww.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

I have read that often if a baker is good at pastry then their breads are not as good and vice versa, that they can only "master" one or the other as it is very skilled and they would never be excellent at both. No facts though just heresay.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

I actually have a friend who owns a bakery in the US. He does fancy pastry and inedible bread. He does realize this so he has someone else bake bread. But his Chocolate eclair is amazing. :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

Angelina's has the best croissants I have ever had, hands down. (My husband is a Francophile incapable of walking past a bakery or patisserie, so I've had a lot of croissants to compare.) They are fantastic - you can really taste the butter. They are near the Louvre, right across the street from the Tulleries Gardens, so you are bound to be in that area at some point. Get one to go, and enjoy it in the Tuilleries, soaking up a bit of Paris.

It's one of the most famous antis series in Paris, but lives up to the hype.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 23:29
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parisian croissants made on the premises

I meant " one of the most famous patisseries in Paris."

Darn that autocorrect feature.