We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Topic
Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

Hello,

My partner and I are going to Paris 16-20 June (Monday-Friday). I'm wondering whether it would be cheaper to get a Navigo Découverte or a carnet.

I think the current price of a carnet (10 tickets) is €13,30 (a single ticket is €1,70). See: …parisinfo.com/how-to-get-to-and-around-pari…

I think the current price of the Navigo Découverte is €20,40 for a week's travel + €5 for the card, totalling €25,40 (plus a photo). See: navigo.fr/…forfaits-navigo

We will be staying in the 2nd arrondissement and probably won't travel much beyond zone two.

€13,30 for 10 journeys via carnet plus 7 journeys at the regular price of €1,70 would equal €25,20. €13,30 for 10 journeys via carnet plus 8 journeys at the regular price would be €26,90. Two carnets (twenty journeys) would be €26,60. So, if that's correct, 17 journeys would render the Navigo Découverte more expensive while 18 journeys or more would make the Navigo Découverte worthwhile, disregarding the cost of the photo.

So, following all that preamble, two questions. Does this sound correct? If so, there obviously is no standard, but would you think 17 journeys was enough for five days?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

I'd go with the Navigo. The thing you can't factor in is the convenience of not having to fiddle with the individual tickets...making sure you have them, keep them separate from the used ones, don't get distracted trying to find them...plus you'll have ithe Navigo to keep as a souvenir.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

Get a Navigo Découverte. You'll be able to jump on to the metro or any bus without giving it a thought instead of rationing metro tickets. If you end up walking everywhere, no big deal. Recently I paid for passes in both London and Zurich that I used "insufficiently" but frankly I was neither crushed nor financially ruined by the situation.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
1,832 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

Absolutely go for the ND. Depending on how much you use the card, it may be the more expensive choice but not by much. And as the above posters noted, it is really convenient. Be sure to bring a small photo with you to affix to the card.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

the ND is so convenient, it doesn't get demagnetized and it allows you to hop a bus when it starts raining or make a spontaneous trip, say zip up to Montmartre to view the city at night or head for Trocadero for a great view of the Eiffel Tower without counting tickets. the difference is going to be trivial and the convenience is worth it. and the carnet is now 13.70 so there are a few more pennies for the calculation. If you do decide on a day trip further than Paris e.g. Versailles, you can get a cheaper ticket with the ND, loaded onto it within 3 hours of the journey.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

The card is valid for 10 years, so keep it, not just as a souvenir.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,766 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

Another ND vote here. I love it for the convenience without the worry of "wasting" a metro ticket for a short journey.

York, United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

Thanks for all the responses; it seems quite clear that the Navigo Découverte is the best option!

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

Do they sell the ND at Gare du Nord? We're staying on Ile de la Cite. Is there somewhere close by that sells the ND?

York, United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

oprah44, this is an old thread but it might be useful: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k380…

Or see here for more up-to-date, but more general information: parisbytrain.com/paris-train-metro-week-pass…

Edited: 11 March 2014, 11:48
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monday-Friday, carnet or Navigo Découverte?

you can get the ND at any metro station by getting the ticket for it in the machine, then getting the kit from the clerk and charging it for the week back on the machine. Or from a clerk at any RER station sales window. You can get them at Nord from a manned window.