We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

On my last trip there was a horrendous queue at Gare du Nord for buying Metro tickets...took over an hour! I recall someone in the queue saying they wished they had bought on the Eurostar whilst on the way to Paris. This trip I would like to do just that if possible...does anyone know for sure if that is the case?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

You can buy métro tickets on Eurostar in the bar buffet carriage. I haven been offered tickets when making a purchase. I think you may pay a small premium but am not sure as I have never bought them myself.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 17:25
San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

Yes, you pay a little bit more, but worth the cost rather than stand in a long line in Paris. I can't remember the exact cost.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 17:26
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

There is no need to stand in line to purchase métro tickets. You may purchase them at any of the ticket kiosks. If you want to avoid the crowds at Gare du Nord, walk 5 minutes to Gare de l´Est and purchase them.

Tickets are also sold at tabacs.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 17:47
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,692 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

You can also buy them in the departures hall at St Pancras. I think you pay a small additional amount but they take cards.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

No need to walk as far as Gare de L'Est, just walk to Magenta.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,310 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

The convenience of picking up a carnet on the Eurostar would make that my choice.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

If you pick up your Metro tickets on the Eurostar you may be lucky and get no line, alternatively the queues may be so long it would be quicker to wait until Nord. All it takes is several people ordering hot food and drinks in front of you and you'll be waiting ages instead of relaxing in your seat with a book or looking at the view.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

Purchase on Eurostar... it cost a little bit more but not much and you can hit the ground running. Your trapped on a train for a couple of hours, so best to be efficient and utilize your time wisely. It beats possible lines at the kiosk.

Level Contributor
8,629 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

do they sell museum passes too? I agree that convenience factor would be important and you are on the train anyway...good use of time even if there are a few people in front of you.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can Paris metro tickets be purchased on board Eurostar?

I purchased the pack of 10 carnets in the food car. I wanted to see what the food car was like, what was offered.

they also broadcasted it over the PA