We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What apartment?

PHILADELPHIA,PA
Level Contributor
418 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What apartment?

I'm currently looking at 3 apartments and just can't decide. They all get good reviews, all are 1100 euros for a week and they all seem like great locations. I was wondering if anyone had any input on any of these apartments?

Apartment 1. Through Paris Best Lodge. Located in the 5th arrondissement. Located at Rue Saint-Jacques and Rue Galande. The name of the apartment is Notre Dame Residence. It has a view of Notre Dame.

Apartment 2. Also in the 5th arrondissement . Through VRBO #200674. Located in the heart of Rue Mouffetard.

Apartment 3. In the 4th arrondissement La Marais. Through VRBO # 295042. Located on Rue Des Rosiers.

It's seems they are all close to metro stations, great restaurants, bakeries, frommageries, etc. I guess what I'm asking is one better than the other. Meaning I can't go wrong with which one I choose. Not knowing Paris , I am not confident on what would be the better choice. I am reading so much that I thought these apartments are good picks. Would I be correct. Any feedback would be so much appreciated and helpful beyond belief. I thank you so very much!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
571 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What apartment?

I have not stayed in that Paris Best Lodge apartment but have rented from Thierry 4 times with # 5 coming up 1 month from today! You can be sure that the apartment will be just as advertised, clean, well equipped and well located. Thierry's service is second to none and if you want to have peace of mind, you can count on Paris Best Lodge.

Have fun in Paris!

jo

Colorado
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What apartment?

Although number 3 is beautiful, it's on the 4th floor with no lift. That's 5th floor US. That would eliminate that one for me. Number two appears to be a studio with a sleeping loft upstairs. It doesn't look like you can stand up in the loft. Again on the third floor with no lift. Fourth floor US.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What apartment?

When are you going? Will you want/need a/c?

VRBO 200674 involves two flights of (steep) stairs and VRBO 295042 involved three flights of stairs.

ParisBestLodge Notre Dame is just beautiful...but, though, there is an elevator, some have reported pecularities about it (and will likely see your inquiry and explain). Personally, I would find the tiny shower dreadful - too small, no way to get out of the spray to lather, etc., no place for toiletries. I would find the wall to wall mirrors annoying.

All in all, it's up to you to weigh the pluses and minuses.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What apartment?

When are you going and how many are in your group?

If the trip is in warmer months, I wouldn't book the one on rue Mouffetard. It's a noisy street (the first review mentions street noise), there's no A/C so you'd likely want to leave the windows open, and it doesn't mention the windows are double paned.

Rue Rosiers is a busy street too, but the windows are doubled paned and there's A/C. I like the layout. The bed and the couch look comfortable and the shower is spacious.

PBL gets fantastic reviews on this forum so you can count on it to be as described. I prefer a couch rather than the 2 chairs - I think it's more comfortable - but that's subjective.

Figure on 18-21 steps per flight of stairs. I don't mind climbing stairs (stayed a month on the 4th floor and frequently visit friends on the 5th floor), but I seem to be in the minority on this forum.

Of the 3, I'd take the one on rue des Rosiers.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What apartment?

I too have stayed at the Notre Dame apartment and can highly recommend it. It was beautiful, comfortable, lovely location ( it can be a bit noisy at night but at times that was in the form of opera or 'la Vie en Rose' being sung in the nightclub down the street;). I would stay there again in a heartbeat and Theirry & co are wonderful to deal with.

Yes the lift is a bit quirky as DJ says- you need to climb a few stairs at the bottom to get to it, and a few stairs at the top as well. But I didn't find it a problem ( I usually walked the whole stairs) I'm not sure if DJ is referring to the shower in ND as being tiny but I didn't find it tiny at all ( nor did my 6'4 companion) The view of Notre Dame from the apartment is to die for, I loved listening to the bells every morning.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 03:45
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,212 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What apartment?

I have stayed in the same building as the Notre Dame Residence ,, we rented the Esmeralda one summer before last.

The location is PERFECT. Really , perfect.. walk from RER station, metro etc.. bus lines all run nearby.. walk to Notre Dame, Cluny, St Chapelle.. Louvre.. etc etc..

I can attest the apartment will be exactly as pictured( I got inside three other units and they were like mine.. exactly as pictured..sparkling clean and well equipped) .. and that the landlord Thierry is a pleasure to work with.. charming with perfect english ..

The air conditioning is modern, quiet and efficient .

The elevator is TINY but I should point out you are only on 2nd floor I think. It never broke down on us though.. and we were on top floor!

I would not choose the second one.. the one on Rue Mouffetard. too busy and noisey for me..

The third apartment looks lovely also .. but everytime I pull up the link it flashes off my screen too fast for me to read up on it( my computer not the ad ) ..

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What apartment?

Have you verified availability for your dates?

PHILADELPHIA,PA
Level Contributor
418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What apartment?

Thank you so much everyone!! It seems like the consensus is Paris Best Lodge. I'm looking to go May 2015. Just my husband and me. I don't think A/C would be needed, however?Trying to get all my ducks in a row as they say. Want to spend a few days in Bayeux and Bordeaux as well. I am not sure in what order to do the three cities. I am in the very beginning stages right now. I just want to get some understanding of a few things before I book. I appreciate all the feed back. Any other input is very welcomed. Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,212 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What apartment?

I agree ,, don't worry about A/C ,, even if you hit a warm patch of weather its still going to cool down in evenings enough to not need a/c. . Many hotels and apartments that have a/c don't even let you turn it on till june.. ( not saying thats the policy for Parisbestlodge.. I don't know,, but I know many hotels have that policy)

This is the fun part of planning a trip.. and the puzzling part at time.. fitting all the pieces together so its as smooth and efficient !

Don't forget when working out the timing.. 2 nights in one place equals only one full day of sightseeing.. enough for some places.. not enough for others.

10. Re: What apartment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:26