We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Reservation Fees to and from Paris (Eurostar & TGV)

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Train Reservation Fees to and from Paris (Eurostar & TGV)

Hello there,

Thanks for your help in advance! Am planning to visit Paris and Strasbourg in October.

Anyhow, would like to ask

1. Are there any reservation fees incurred for Eurostar from London to Paris? I checked that if i book way in advance I can get a ticket at 39 pounds. Any additional charges e.g. for reservation?

2. Are there any reservation fees incurred for TGV from Paris to Strasbourg? The tickets are around 25-30 EUR.

I believe for both train rides I need to purchase in advance (and make reservations in advance? Are they the same thing haha).

Some websites seem to claim that there are large reservation fees to be incurred in Europe and hence a Eurail pass would be more affordable e.g. nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/… I'm not quite sure though. Ive mapped my route from London to Vienna (which includes Paris, Strasbourg, Munich, Salzburg) and it doesnt seem to cost more than $300.

Thanks very much! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Reservation Fees to and from Paris (Eurostar & TGV)

For both Eurostar and TGV, the price of a ticket includes a seat reservation. Purchase as soon as possible for the best prices. Eurostar tickets usually go on sale 6 months before travel, TGV 3 months. Book with www.eurostar.com and www.capitainetrain.com

People who have Eurail passes have to make a separate reservation and pay extra for it, which is why Eurail passes are not a good idea. The cost comparisons in that blog are misleading, as they take no account of the very substantial discounts on tickets that are available if you book direct with the train operator well ahead of travel.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Reservation Fees to and from Paris (Eurostar & TGV)

<Are there any reservation fees incurred for Eurostar from London to Paris?<

On Eurostar the cost of a reserved seat is included in the ticket price. If you book on Eurostar's website and pay by credit card, you have to pay a small fee for the use of the card.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Reservation Fees to and from Paris (Eurostar & TGV)

You can learn a great deal about trains going to www.seat61.com.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Reservation Fees to and from Paris (Eurostar & TGV)

Thanks all! Appreciate the clarification :)

Was worried for a bit.

5. Re: Train Reservation Fees to and from Paris (Eurostar & TGV)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28