We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

Hi

We'll be in and around Calais in early June and want to jump on a train from that area into Paris on a Saturday. I'm looking for the cheapest option as not fussed by frills or speed.

We've got a motorhome so can drive to the station but don't really want to drive to another city (e.g. Lille) as this presents parking issues. Can anyone suggest a good route to take?

A quick search suggests Arras to Paris. This is coming in at around £50 for an hours journey for a family of 4 - is there a cheaper option?

Cheers!

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

www.capitainetrain.com is the site you need. The earlier you book, the cheaper the fare. Tickets are on sale 3 months before & the cheapest sell out fast.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

No, you won't find any cheaper train. 50£ or 60€ is a very good price for travelling from Arras to Paris and back for a family of 4 when you consider the distance. Driving your motor-home will cost you at least the double in fuel and tolls. Book the cheap train tickets on-line before they get sold out, price will be double or more bought on the day.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

The Arras option is viable as the cheapest train fare, although you'll have to add on the time to drive to Arras from Calais (allow 1h20 in a motorhome) plus the motorway toll and petrol. The motorway toll I'd guess would be around 15€. While Arras is smaller than Lille, I'm not sure where you'd park, but I'd imagine you'd find free street parking if you are willing to walk 1km or so from the station.

Another option is to park at Calais-Frethun and pick up a TGV or Eurostar there. The cost will be around double that of the Arras train fare, but parking is easy and it's only a short drive from Calais town.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,558 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

You can get a Eurolines bus from Calais to Paris, these days....

eurolines.fr/en/…

But it will probably take ages....

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

Thanks for all your replies.

I think we'll stick with the Arras option. Just realised we went to Arras on a motorhome tour last year and I remember it being easy to find somewhere to park. A stroll to the station is not a problem.

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

Ok. Just realised the £50 I saw was just for the outward journey. £100 seems pretty steep for an hours day return journey. I'm comparing this to an hours train journey into London from Herts.

Back to the drawing board.....

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

Just a thought but as another option you could stay by the Seine at Camping du Bois de Boulogne and stop overnight in case you miss anything in Paris - www.camping-indigo.com/fr

Edited: 15 March 2014, 17:53
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

60€/£50 for four people on the first two Saturdays of June from Calais to Paris is what is showing up on www.voyages-sncf.com, so yes, the return journey for 4 is indeed £100. But this is the TGV, after all.

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

Is there not a slower, more rickety train that stops at the small stations? :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap train into Paris from Pas-de-Calais

Not in France. The local trains run out from regional hubs, but generally do not cross regional boundaries, so they don't join up.