We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV Paris to Avignon in July

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
TGV Paris to Avignon in July

Grateful for any help. I thought the bookings for rail opened up 90 days outside your travel date. I was hoping to get fares for 25 Euros pp and tonight I looked at our travel date being 19th July and was amazed that we can book on the voyages-sncf.com site. The only fare that suits is a total of 280 euros (there are 5 of us )

Should I secure this or will I get a better price closer to the date?

Thanks so much in advance.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

The actual purchase window is 3 months which may or may not be exactly 90 days. The iDTGV purchase window can be as early as 5 months before any given travel date.

I assume you are asking about PREM fares but there is never any guarantee that PREM fares are available on all trains nor that if they are available that their prices will start at 25€.

However, purchase tickets now as prices never go down.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

It is still more than 90 days before your travel date, so not all trains for the period are available - there are only two trains available for the date you want (they are IDTGV which go on sale earlier). Usually trains from Paris to Avignon run every forty minutes at most.

It is your decision, but I would wait as there will be more trains available and possibly the cheap tickets you are wanting (they go very quickly though). From memory, I received an email from SNCF recently saying reservations for the Summer period for TGV's are opening early, but I'm afraid I don't recall the date.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 12:59
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

Thanks for replying. I was just looking at 2nd class fares. First time travelling to Europe and booking rail. Yes it was with Idtgv - gosh if they run trains every 40 or so minutes to Avignon then I should wait to book. This is only showing 4 times departing Paris. Can I also ask what is IDTGV and the difference from TGV (sorry but I have not seen that before) thanks so much ! Big help

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

The idTGV is kind of a "discount" TGV. Ticketing is slightly different as is the seating. In the end there's little difference between to two. I'd just keep watching for the regular TGV schedule to become available. In the meantime you might want to sign up for the e-mail alerts mentioned above.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

iDTGV fares are usually the lowest available. The iDTGV trains are sometimes older rolling stock which are physically attached to regular TGVs which is why schedules may show two departures at the same time. iDTGV train tickets are only sold on line only and require your printing tickets yourself.

As I stated, ticket prices only increase so there is very little incentive to ever wait to purchase. However, one unique strategy which you could attempt would be to wait for regular ticket sales to open to see if the PREMs are sold at a lower price than are the currently selling iDTGV tickets. It is a gamble which might pay off, it might not. If you decide to wait, you can sign up for email notification of when precisely PREM tickets will be available for your chosen date. It´s called Alert Résa and the form you complete is available here:

voyages-sncf.com/services-train/alerte-reser…

Another option you might consider is to purchase tickets on a Ouigo train. Ouigo tickets are currently available for early June at 15€ each. The catch is that the trains only depart from Marne la Vallée (Disneyland) so you would need to go there first). The Ouigo trains are inexpensive but are designed for families and children so the comfort level is different from the regular TGVs. Take a look here:

http://www.ouigo.com/fr

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

You should definitely wait to purchase unless you enjoy paying more than you need to. Contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, prices WILL go down from those you have seen, once the "PREM" range of tickets open for sale. Look at a date that is already open like, say, the 4th of June for an indication of trains and prices.

At this time of year the booking horizon may not always be exactly 90 days in advance, due to the summer timetable change. Keep an eye on your date of travel once a week or so and you should be able to snaffle one of the cheap fares. There are lots of trains to Avignon and they won't all sell out at once.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

Thanks everyone. I just checked out the Ouigo from MARNE LA VALLEE and it's so much cheaper. For the 5 of us (2 Ad, 1 Student, 2 Ch ) it works out 85 Euros in total. So I guess that is an option too. Hubby a bit worried about getting there by 9am though and having to change trains again. I am happy to wait and see if there are cheaper prices released for the TGV, I guess it's a gamble but we did budget for the 25 euro fares. thanks for all the help - much appreciated.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

Please don't make assumptions about 25-euro fares. There is no hard and fast rule about what PREM fares will cost, and 25 euros is just a random possibility.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

<< it works out 85 Euros in total. >>

The total will be that plus the price to Marne la Vallée - 7.50€ each, 3.75€ for children 4-10. The procedure for checking in for Ouigo trains is very strict and requires your being in place and ready 30 minutes before departure.

To get an idea about at what price PREMs might be issued 3 months before your travel date, look at what PREMs are selling for 3 months from now. Some trains have PREMs at 25€, some at 30€, at least one at 45€ and many trains have none. The iDTGV tickets are sold out for 14 Jun except for a couple at 30€ and 54€.

I assume you are going to Avignon for the Festival. If you have not yet been in Avignon during July, it is very crowded and train tickets will become increasingly difficult to obtain inexpensively.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 00:37
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TGV Paris to Avignon in July

We have 7 nights in Paris then we are travelling to Avignon by rail and picking up a car to stay nearby and travel around the area for 7 days then we are driving to Nice after this. I didn't know there was a festival on when we are there. We have only just started planning our France itinerary. This is our first time to France. I appreciate your feedback - thanks so much