We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
514 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

Hello. I would like to know if anyone has an idea what an appropriate tip is for one of the "free" (tip based) walking tours of Paris? We have never been to Paris, but I have been planning for our upcoming trip (May) for almost a year now. I have not read any suggestions regarding what to tip for this service, so I am inquiring here! I wrote to one of the tour companies and asked if there was a "suggested" tip range, and they said "no" - you pay for the value you feel you received. Well, in the U.S. I would have an general IDEA of what a good tip for this service would be; (2.5 - 3 hour walking tour with up to 25 people in the tour) - I would most likely tip $40-$50 p.p., U.S. for this, maybe more if I was absolutely delighted with the tour. Suggestions/personal experiences would be appreciated. TY!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

I don't know the answer to your question but is the $40-$50 a typo? If there were twenty people at $50 the tour guide would be making $1000 for an afternoon's work. That seems a huge amount of money, I assume that tour guiding in the USA is very sought after employment.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

Here's another thread on this topic (please ignore the comments from SaraE) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k65586…

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
514 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

No, it wasn't a typo - see how I clearly need help with this, LOL!! I understand that it may be a large group, but the "private" walking tours are requesting 200-240E for two. I have little concept of what to tip this guide ..... lets say if I am absolutely thrilled with the service. And, I am also assuming that if there are only 4 or 5 of us along on this tour, that perhaps we should be more generous. Really at a loss here, but my DH and I are good tippers and I do have some angst with this; I don't want to be stingy.

California
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

We've gone on several walks with Paris Walks, and they charge 12€ per person for this same kind of thing, if that gives you something to go on.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

For 2 of us I was paying E 20 last June.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

I took the 4-hour Sandeman's tour and I had the best tour guide I have ever had anywhere. I tipped her 20euros because *she was worth it*. I don't care if others tipped her that much also. She was articulate, organized, fun, and knew her material. Why shouldn't she make a lot of money? Should only bankers and lawyers make money? I also saw a lot of cheapskates (non-tipping culture ppl?) walk away without tipping and others a mere 5 euros. That stinks.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

I'll also add that I paid 12 euros for a Paris Walks(?) Hemingway tour and the guide was late, bored, disinterested in his customers, and left us at the end of the tour without a polite goodbye, walking away abruptly and leaving ppl wondering where the heck they were and how to get back to where the tour started. When ppl work for tips *they try harder.* The guide also said he reads Trip Advisor to see how he is being reviewed.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 19:59
Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
514 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

Thank you SO MUCH for the constructive and helpful replies! This is soooooo helpful! At least this gives me some reference point!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

I was talking about 90 min. discovery walks in Paris.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested tips for "free" (tip based) walking tours?

As a Hemingway afficionado I thought our guide was very good. Along with a good knowledge of the area we walked through her information about the Hemingway's life at that time and place was very good. She even read from one of the interchapters in the Snows of Kilomanjaro. Since there two of us we gave her five euros.

Pjk