We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip hairstylist ?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
333 reviews
Save Topic
Tip hairstylist ?

Hi. Would you tip in Paris for a shampoo and blowout and if so how much? And how about to the shampoo person ?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

It is never necessary to tip anyone for anything in France.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

Definitely not.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

I know you don't have to tip taxis and waiters (although we generally do a small amount ~5-10%)

I normally do my own hair but on my last trip I had it done a few times and wasn't sure. Do they get paid a normal salary?

Thanks.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

France is not a tipping culture.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1,773 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

I have never tipped in a Paris hair salon. Employees do not expect tips.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

Is the same true for a manicure and pedicure? I am going to need one when I am there for a month. (I know they are super-pricey compared to home, where I have both done for under $40 US).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

See reply #1. It is not necessary to tip for anything in France. People who provide haircuts, maicures, or anything else are paid a proper wage and do not need to rely on tips. It is a different system.

The price for a manicure may seem high, but you do not need to add tax and a tip to the advertising price.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

Tipping in France is: never necessary; done all the time; done by the French as well as from other nations; never refused.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

It's not "never refused," and it's not "done all the time" except by Americans who misunderstand the culture and feel some sort of compulsion to do what they do at home, but that's beside the point. I don't often refuse people who insist on giving me money I haven't deserved,either. To answer the question, no, it's not necessary or expected. If you want to round up the total bill by a euro or two, that's fine, but no one will bat an eye or think any less of you if you just pay the bill as presented.

10. Re: Tip hairstylist ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 12:35