We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smog

Greater London...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
smog

Anyone been in Paris this past week? How bad is the smog? Are there parts of Paris that are better or worse? What times of day/ night are easier? I am due to visit this week and am wondering how the smog hits visitors, by definition not used to Paris smog. Thanks, Ann

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: smog

I haven't been in Paris this week but until Parisians see your question this thread from last Thursday might provide an answer:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k72801…

I think I read on another thread someone say that at street level it wasn't really noticeable, just from higher points where distant visibility was not as good. But the worst was on Thursday (I could be wrong but I believe it was the only day the haze could qualify as smog) and I am sure by the time you get here visibility from the top of the Eiffel Tower will be normal again. If it's sunny you will have better visibility than on regular non polluted (well, less polluted I should say) overcast, damp days anyway.

I live just a few kilometers south east of Paris and we have had nothing but clear blue skies and good visibility. Only Thursday did the blue sky not look quite as crisp as on previous days (my husband found it a little hazy in the morning when he opened the shutters) and being sensitive to air pollution I could feel the air was charged with particles when I was out walking for errands but not enough to cause bad symptoms. I have actually found the nights particularly clear and starry lately where I live but a friend in the 5th arrondissement commented on how strangely beautiful the full moon was last night due to the particles in the air (whereas to me it was just clear and white against the black starry sky) so I am aware that it can look different in the center of the city but it just goes to show you that any haziness would be very local.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
434 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smog

Hi Ann much better today in Paris today ( was quite windy yesterday ) - right now having lunch in a park, great blue sky. Some traffic restrictions are due to be in force on Monday in order to avoid smog we had last week, so everything should be fine for your visit. enjoy. Philippe

Greater London...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smog

Thank you, very reassuring. And enjoy your picnic

a

Edited: 16 March 2014, 13:02
Greater London...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smog

Thanks- I had looked for a post re the smog, but missed this, Very useful.

a

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: smog

Was in Paris 3 days last week - honestly nobody noticed anything.

It is strange to see how many posts are being generated byt this smog alarm.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smog

The pollution estimates were worse than the reality and the winds today and yesterday left us with clear blue skies over a wonderful spring day.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: smog

I have been walking in southeastern Paris for the last couple of hours and the visibility is exceptionally good. Unfortunately today is supposed to be the last day of gorgeous summery weather.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,880 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smog

Yes, it's fine today.

Bvw - when you have the authorities making public transport free to encourage people to leave cars at home and now restrictions on cars coming as from tomorrow , it is understandable that there should be such a lot of concern. Added to this, you have the usual media hysteria, telling people not to go out in the early morning or late afternoon and saying that under-fives and pensioners should not go out at all. What do you expect?

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smog

I arrived in Paris today, and could not have asked for a better day for walking outdoors to help with setting our body clocks to Europe time.

I was expecting much worse, and although it was quite hazy, we did not notice any unusual smells apart from dog poop!!!!!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smog

So does anyone know if the public transport is still free Monday ( 3/17)?

I think that is what the sign in the station said, but my French is weak.